Bella Gil

Bella Gil, Culture Editor

Bella is a CAS junior studying Journalism and English. Born and raised in Los Angeles, she still wonders how she made it all the way across the country and back. She is a devoted lover of all things Nintendo and unironically loves a classic round of Fortnite. When not gaming or doing schoolwork, she is roller-skating. Though you won't see her on the street this semester, she's still probably thinking about what she's going to wear tomorrow even though she's just going to be home. If she likes you enough, she'll make you a batch of cookies. She loves to learn and is always open to new experiences and conversations. Follow her on Instagram @bellamaegil, she'll talk with you about (literally) anything.

All content by Bella Gil
Being a world-renowned fashion event, New York Fashion Week brings thousands of attendees from around the world to the city every year. This year, with the ongoing pandemic situation, the Beauty & Style section at Washington Square News has decided not to cover the gathering. (Staff Photo by Alexandra Chan)

Why WSN Will Not Cover New York Fashion Week In-Person This Year

Culture Editor Bella Gil discusses the reasoning for not covering in-person shows at NYFW S/S 2021.
Bella Gil, Culture Editor September 11, 2020

New York Fashion Week has historically brought thousands of attendees from around the world to the city every year, but 2020 is no ordinary year. With how the ongoing coronavirus...

Reading, roller skating, listening to true crimes podcast or making the best spicy fried chicken sandwich. We’ve all been there this quarantine season. (Photos by Scott Hogan, Guru Ramanathan, Leo Sheingate, Sasha Cohen. Staff Illustration by Alex Tran)

Culture Desk Faves: Our Quarantine Hobbies

WSN’s Culture desk shares the ways they found to cope with quarantine.

Having spent a majority of 2020 in quarantine, everyone’s had enough time on their hands to become a master baker, handwrite their autobiographies and watch every show Netflix...

Tisch first-year Steven Zambon experiences his mandatory 14 day quarantine in his Lipton Hall. Students share and reflect on their experiences with the 14-day quarantine in NYU dorms. (Photo by Steven Zambon)

Students Reflect on Quarantining in NYU Housing

From doing everything to doing nothing, these students share how they’ve occupied their time in housing before the semester starts.
Bella Gil, Culture Editor August 31, 2020

Move-In Day for students living in NYU’s residence halls this year was probably the most different it’s looked in NYU’s history — to say the least. Students returning to...

NYU announced it would still be holding Grad Alley — just over VR. (Image by Bella Gil)

The Highs and Lows of Virtual Reality Grad Alley

WSN’s top gamers went to Virtual Reality Grad Alley. Here’s what happened.

To call these times unprecedented would not only be an understatement, it would also just be repetitive. But something that perhaps nobody expected, despite everything that’s...

WSN stays busy with the newest Animal Crossing game. Heres what weve been doing to stay busy during quarantine. (Staff Photo by Bella Gil)

Culture Desk Faves: What We’ve Been Doing in Quarantine

Yoga, Animal Crossing and dog walking, what more could you ask for?
Bella Gil, Lauren Gruber and Divya Nelakonda March 27, 2020

The only option for all of us right now is to stay inside. Working from home and attending school from home may come with some extra time none of us expected so here’s what the...

WSN is compiling resources that may be of help during this semester. (Staff Illustration by Alexandra Chan)

Coronavirus Outbreak Resources for the NYU Community

In the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, a lot of information can get lost in the panic. WSN has compiled a list of resources that could possibly be of use to the NYU community. Email [email protected] to help expand this list.

Many members of the NYU community have been irreversibly affected by the coronavirus outbreak, either because of the virus itself or the university’s response to it. Students...

Students pack up their belongings in preparation to move out of their dorms. Many students returned home, while others stayed with relatives and friends.
(Staff Photo by Leo Sheingate)

Where Did You Go? Students on Being Kicked Out of Housing

After Andy Hamilton’s March 16 email alerted students to move out of residence halls by March 22, students find short-term housing in friends’ apartments and family nationwide.
Bella Gil, Culture Editor March 23, 2020

Last Monday on the first day of Spring Break, all NYU students received an email from President Andrew Hamilton with updates on what procedures NYU had been taking regarding COVID-19....

Multi colored perfume bottles line a windowsill. The WSN Culture desk is here to discuss some of their favorite perfumes. (Staff Photo by Bella Gil)

Culture Desk Faves: Signature Scents

The Culture Desk dish on their beloved perfumes.

If you asked someone, “What perfume are you wearing right now?” most people would be able to answer in a heartbeat.The Culture Desk dishes below on what scent defines them...

Mascaras come in all sizes and forms. Here are some of the culture desk’s favorite mascara picks. (Staff Photo by Chelsea Li)

Lashes For Days: The Culture Desk’s Go-To Mascaras

Volume, length and lashes, oh my!

Benefit Cosmetics’ “They’re Real!” Mascara  Great minds (and lashes) think alike.  Mascara was the first beauty product I began to wear on a regular basis. To this...

Sloomoo is an interactive pop-up exhibit in Soho that is all about slime. (Staff Photo by Bella Gil)

Explore NYC’s Newest Slime Pop-Up

All you need to know about Sloomoo Institute, Soho’s interactive slime experience.
Bella Gil, Culture Editor February 3, 2020

It’s squishy, it’s sticky, it ... smells like pumpkin pie — or wait, is that Christmas Tree? No … definitely Fruit Loops. Actually, it’s slime. Yes, slime, the stuff...

Despite a restful winter break, there were definitely some things the culture desk missed about the city. (Staff photo by Chelsea Li)

Culture Desk Faves: What We Missed About the City

Winter break doesn’t last forever.

It’s easy to get burned out in New York. Winter break is a great time to return home and recharge. As we eat in our hometown diners and visit old friends, a part of us still...

Replace the old-fashioned leather Moto jacket with a trendy leather blazer this winter. (Photo by Talia Barton)

NYU Trend Report: New Decade Edition

Welcome back, Violets. What will we be wearing this semester?
Bella Gil, Culture Editor January 27, 2020

As the decades come and go, to our Gen Z luck, certain forgotten trends ebb and flow. Items we never wanted to be caught wearing are now at the top of our lists, and those we used...

Wollman Rink in Central Park is a popular skating spot for New Yorkers. (Via Wikimedia Tomás Fano)

Winter Wonderland: Culture Desk Dishes Their Favorite New York City Winter Activities

When the weather outside is frightful, the Culture Desk finds these activities delightful.
Lauren Gruber, Calais Watkins, Bella Gil and Carol Lee December 4, 2019

The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree. Hot chocolate from Serendipity 3. The Union Square Holiday Market. “Home Alone 2: Lost In New York,” “Miracle on 34th Street” and...

Clinton Street Baking Company is a must-try all-day brunch spot. (Staff Photo by Carol Lee)

Culture Desk Dining: Farewell Edition

The culture desk reveals where they go to dine before saying farewell to the city for winter break.
Calais Watkins, Lauren Gruber, Carol Lee and Bella Gil December 3, 2019

For those of us lucky enough to avoid cramming in a credit requirement during J-term, leaving the city for a breath of fresh air and slower pace is a welcome break. But there’s...

Staff Rants and Raves: Transportation

Staff Rants and Raves: Transportation

We’re all going places in some way or another. Here’s what our staff has to say about it.

Rants On the NYU Airport Shuttle By Bella Gil, Beauty and Style Editor Getting back and forth between JFK airport and campus is one skill I’ve yet to master. If traveling...

Staff Rants and Raves: NYU Facilities

Staff Rants and Raves: NYU Facilities

NYU owns a lot of property, from residence halls with no heat to libraries that block out the sun to dining halls that can’t pass inspections. Read what our staff has to say about NYU’s campus.

Rants On Being a Thirsty Gal By Bela Kirpalani, Sports Editor Hydration is key, folks. But the architects of Bobst Library don't seem to understand this ethos, as they...

Nina Dobrev dresses up as Billie Eilish for Halloween. (Via Instagram)

How To Disguise Your Normal Clothes as a Costume

Basic is better than nothing.
Bella Gil, Beauty & Style Editor October 28, 2019

It’s Halloween and you told yourself you were going to wear your costume all day. You’re staring at your reflection in the dimness before your 8 a.m. class and you just can’t...

A couple dress up as Harley Quinn and The Joker. As the new Joker movie came out earlier this October, the notorious DC Comic character became one of peoples top choices for Halloween costume. (Via Wikimedia)

Halloween 2019 Costume Predictions

What are NYU students going to be wearing this year?
Bella Gil, Beauty & Style Editor October 24, 2019

There’s always a handful of costumes that stand out when Halloween rolls around. Whether you’ve been planning for months, or just succumb to whatever your group’s doing,...

Butt masks on display at Lush Cosmetics. (Photo by Tomer Keysar)

I Tried Butt-Skincare so You Don’t Have To

Sorry TLC, but in this case, I do want a scrub.
Bella Gil, Beauty & Style Editor October 7, 2019

It seems like you can’t walk down the street or open an app on your phone without seeing at least one ad for the latest skincare item. In 2019, these items aren’t just for...

Postcards with bra patterns in Strand Bookstore. (Photo by Bella Gil)

Photo: Bras: To Wear, or not to Wear?

September 26, 2019

(Staff Photo by Julia McNeill)

I Love Pretty S/S 2020

Bella Gil, Beauty & Style Editor September 12, 2019

Designer Yang Juan’s I Love Pretty S/S 2020 Collection swept down the runway Friday, and each look was more extravagant than the last. Tulle frills mixed with leather harnesses...

First-year students share if the first day of school outfit is important to them in college. (Staff Photo by Min Ji Kim)

The (Un)Importance of a First-Day-of-School Outfit

Don’t let the planning drive you crazy; nobody else will remember it anyway.
Bella Gil, Beauty & Style Editor September 5, 2019

This time last year, the members of NYU’s class of 2023 were beginning their last first days of high school. In high school, the first-day fit was everything. Does its significance...

Steinhardt sophomore Ashley Hart poses with merchandise from her hairstyling business, based out of her Brooklyn apartment. (Staff Photo by Marva Shi)

Meet the Sophomore Running a Braiding Business from Her Apartment

Box braids, cornrows, stitch braids, faux locs — she can do it all.
Bella Gil, Beauty & Style Editor August 24, 2019

The art of turning multiple strands into one. Some people are well-versed in the art of braiding, with a select few able to handle the tricky maneuvers of box braids and cornrows....

Elizabeth Bellotti is a fashion designer and Gallatin pre-law student. (Photo by Bella Mae Gil)

Gallatin Senior Pursues Passions in Both Fashion Design and Law

Elizabeth Bellotti dominates on the runway and, soon, in the courtroom.
Bella Gil, Staff Writer May 5, 2019

With her roommates frequently out of town, Gallatin senior Elizabeth Bellotti was free to transform her apartment into a repository of sewing machines, fabrics and materials...

A woman wears a stylish water-proof  PVC coat.  (Staff Photo by Jorene He)

How Students Stay Stylish in the Rain

April showers bring stylistic dilemmas.
Bella Gil, Staff Writer May 2, 2019

Navigating the sidewalks of New York City in the rain is unpleasant enough, but after your favorite white sneakers get drenched in dirty runoff water and your thrifted silk blouse...

Everyone complains about NYU buses being late, but what about NYUs other free transportation? NYU Bike Share Program offers a way to get around, especially for people who live in dorms that are far away from campus. (Staff Photo by Jorene He)

Campus Bike-Share Rides Under the Radar

A free campus bike program benefits recreation over pollution.
Bella Gil, Staff Writer April 15, 2019

Since the weather’s getting nicer, take a bike ride! Unknown to many, NYU has its very own program that allows students to rent bicycles for free. “We can use bikes...

A newly opened location of Malai Ice Cream, where a Stern alumna has launched her global fusion ice cream brand. (Photo by Bella Mae Gil)

Stern Alumna’s Ice Cream Shop Opens in Brooklyn

Bella Gil, Staff Writer April 15, 2019

Combining flavors from her home with well-loved basics, Pooja Bavishi’s ice cream company and shop, Malai, transforms ice cream into a new type of dessert. Stern alumna Bavishi...

Goodwill and Googles new Chelsea pop-up store in Chelsea that is promoting sustainable fashion. (Photo by Hanna McNeila)

ReFashion NYU Helps You Upgrade Your Closet — Sustainably

Tired of fast fashion? ReFashion NYU has solutions.
Bella Gil, Staff Writer April 5, 2019

Thrifting, upcycling, swapping, recycling, creating.  At EarthMatters@NYU’s ReFashion NYU event at the Kimmel Center for University Life on Tuesday, all of these practices and...

League of Linguistics Students at NYU is an undergraduate linguistics student organization. (via Twitter)

LOLS Club Makes Languages Heard

What better place to dissect how humans speak than a campus with incredible linguistic diversity?
Bella Gil, Staff Writer April 2, 2019

Though LOLS may be the most popular example of shorthand text lingo, the acronym stands for something else at NYU: League of Linguists Students. The club, open to anyone in...

Keenkee F/W 2019

Keenkee F/W 2019

Bella Gil, Staff Writer February 5, 2019

Read more of WSN’s New York Fashion Week coverage here. Email Bella Gil at [email protected].

A woman wears coral earmuffs in the streets of SoHo, New York. (Photo by Jorene He)

Living Coral Splashes Into 2019

Coral is making a comeback.
Bella Gil, Staff Writer January 28, 2019

The ultimate authority on color, paint brand Pantone, recently named Living Coral the 2019 Color of the Year. The bright orange-pink hue is a stark contrast with last year’s...

NYU Hosts Discussion on the Trauma of Having an Incarcerated Parent

How does having an incarcerated parent change a child's life? The Silver School of Social Work explored this question on Tuesday.
Bella Gil, Contributing Writer September 27, 2018
A summer street fair Greenwich Village.

Enjoy the Greenwich Village Street Fair While it Lasts

There's lots to be found at Greenwich Village weekend street fair.
Bella Gil, Contributing Writer September 18, 2018
Here are some of our favorite pop-ups from this month's street fairs.