Culture Desk Dining: Farewell Edition

The culture desk reveals where they go to dine before saying farewell to the city for winter break.
Clinton+Street+Baking+Company+is+a+must-try+all-day+brunch+spot.+%28Staff+Photo+by+Carol+Lee%29+
Clinton Street Baking Company is a must-try all-day brunch spot. (Staff Photo by Carol Lee)

For those of us lucky enough to avoid cramming in a credit requirement during J-term, leaving the city for a breath of fresh air and slower pace is a welcome break. But there’s a catch. Whether you hail from a small town or big city, no one’s hometown matches the variety of dining options served up by New York City. Before departing on that plane, train or automobile, NYU students might find it necessary to grab their favorite New York City dining offering before saying farewell for a month. The Culture Desk editors are no exception.

Bagel Bobs

51 University Place

Bagels have always held a special place in my heart. The local bagel shop in my hometown of Irvine, California was where my dad took me for breakfast on Sunday mornings when I was a kid. As the only place open 24/7 in my small town, the same bagel shop turned into the late-night hangout spot for my friends and I in high school. I didn’t think there was a better bagel out there. But then, I came to New York. Bagel Bobs is at the center of my college memories. From early morning on-the-go breakfasts to a late afternoon hangover fix with friends, Bagel Bobs has seen it all. The staff quickly came to recognize my face and asks me about my day and my classes when it comes time to pay for my food. Beyond providing me with a source of comfort and community, Bagel Bobs serves what are in my opinion, the best bagels in New York City (hot take, I know). Every year on the day before I leave the city for winter break, you’ll find me ordering my sesame bagel with scallion cream cheese at Bagel Bobs. I guarantee it. — Calais

Sticky’s Finger Joint

107 E. 14th St.

Now I could try and be all pretentious and say that my must-have restaurant 

is some upscale French eatery like Boucherie or my favorite Malaysian restaurant Laut. But truthfully, before I return home to Boston for the winter, I crave a final visit to Sticky’s, home to “the best damn chicken finger.” My go-to order is the medium chicken poppers (more bread-to-chicken ratio than the standard chicken fingers), chipotle aioli and my beloved Cajun fries. This meal can be enjoyed drunk or sober, but is best consumed at 2 a.m. after a night out, surrounded by your equally inebriated friends. Over a cardboard carton of nuggets and fries, I like to recap the events of the night and line my stomach with carbs before going to bed. — Lauren

Clinton St. Baking Company

4 Clinton St.

If breakfast for dinner is your kind of thing, you seriously have to stop by Clinton St. Baking Company. Everything I’ve tried there has been scrumptious. Their pancakes are unbelievably fluffy and their French toast is nice and thick. But the real star of the show, especially if you prefer savory over sweet, is their eggs benedict. The creamy yolk, smoked salmon and crunchy latkes combine to create a gustatory delight you’ll never forget. — Carol

Bagels in General, Notably…

Bagel Belly — 114 Third Ave.

Bagel Bobs — 51 University Place

Moving to New York, a bagel wasn’t the first thing that came to mind when I thought about famous foods the city was known for. But after my first visit to Bagel Bobs, I suddenly understood. What was I doing my whole life eating plain bagels? What was I doing my whole life eating them by their top and bottom half and not like a sandwich? They’re now my treat-yourself bites when running around campus or after a particularly grueling midterm. Before I go back home for long breaks, I make it a point to eat a bacon, egg and cheese (from Bagel Belly on Third Avenue) or an everything bagel with cream cheese (from Bagel Bobs on University). I bought a dozen back in my hometown for my family from a place called “New York Bagels LA” and although they were some good bagels, it just didn’t do New York justice. Bagels just aren’t the same back home. From the wise words of my mother, “New York will ruin all food for you.” — Bella

Email the Culture Desk at [email protected].

Calais Watkins, Dining Editor
Calais Watkins is a third-year student, southern California native and sock enthusiast studying English in CAS. Although she believes English professors have dramatically overestimated their students’ time to read assigned texts, she’s sometimes thankful because she thinks a book in her hand makes her look all ‘intellectual’ while riding the subway to and from babysitting. Calais (pronounced ‘cal-ay’) fears substitute teachers and her name being read aloud because it once got mispronounced as “Callus” and the nickname haunts her to this day. Her most commonly said words are, “I’m cold.”
Lauren Gruber, Dining Editor
Lauren is a CAS sophomore studying Journalism and Psychology and WSN's resident sorority girl. A Boston native, she loves ice cream in the winter and the word 'wicked.' Lauren is a Brie cheese enthusiast and her hobbies include petting every dog she sees, rereading Gillian Flynn novels and watching cooking shows (specifically "Chopped" and "British Bake Off"). You can find her at The Bean while she pretends to study. Follow her on Instagram @laurenmgruber.
Carol Lee, Editor-at-large
Bella Gil, Culture Editor
Bella is a CAS junior studying Journalism and English. Born and raised in Los Angeles, she still wonders how she made it all the way across the country and back. She is a devoted lover of all things Nintendo and unironically loves a classic round of Fortnite. When not gaming or doing schoolwork, she is roller-skating. Though you won't see her on the street this semester, she's still probably thinking about what she's going to wear tomorrow even though she's just going to be home. If she likes you enough, she'll make you a batch of cookies. She loves to learn and is always open to new experiences and conversations. Follow her on Instagram @bellamaegil, she'll talk with you about (literally) anything.