Mandie Montes

Mandie Montes, Under the Arch Managing Editor

Mandie Montes is a senior double majoring in Journalism and Latino Studies with a minor in French. Yes, that's a mouthful, so try not to ask her about it, ever. She really doesn't know what else to include in this bio and unfortunately because we're in a pandemic, you won't be able to bump into her on the streets of New York. Guess you’ll just have to follow her @mandiemontes on Twitter/Instagram to meet her ~virtually~ and see what she's up to.

All content by Mandie Montes

Two NYU Students on Running Depop Shops

In these Q&As, two Liberal Studies sophomores discuss their fashion journeys, how they run their independent businesses via Depop and the way they use their shops to fight for the causes they hold dear.
Mandie Montes and Anna-Dmitry Muratova Sep 28, 2020

WSN is compiling resources that may be of help for protesting and reporting. (Staff Illustration by Charlie Dodge)

Safety Tips for Protesters and Student Journalists

With mass protests across the U.S., a lot of information can be confusing and scrambled. WSN has compiled guides and tips that could be of use to the NYU community for protesting safely. Email [email protected] to help expand this list.

As protests picked up across the country this past June, WSN began compiling resources and information for safely protesting and reporting on protests. We wanted to support NYU...

Rising Tandon sophomore Alexis Williams posing for a photo in her backyard. Williams coded her website, pb-resources.com, as a tool to get people engaged in the Black Lives Matter movement. (Photo by Alexis Williams)

Tandon Student Speaks Out in Code Rather Than Words

Tandon sophomore Alexis Williams’ website — pb-resources.com — is a guide to discuss the importance of Black Lives Matter and to engage in conversations surrounding systemic oppression and exercise accessible forms of activism.
Mandie Montes, Under the Arch Managing Editor Aug 25, 2020

While everyone in the U.S. sleeps, rising Tandon sophomore Alexis Williams codes for 10 hours straight with a darklight in her room that projects an ocean, illuminating under the...

Manda’s Mobile Music & Daring Driving Diary

This is a love letter to my favorite record store that is now closed due to COVID-19 with an uncertain reopening date in a new location, to every Californian that enjoys the thrill of simply driving and listening to music and to the friends that I reconnected with while on this journey.
Mandie Montes, Under the Arch Senior Editor May 4, 2020

I’ve always been okay staying in and chilling at home, even during the weekends. I am what they call a homebody, always preferring to revel in my film collection and going to...

Illustration by Charlie Dodge.

Magic and Glitter in Brooklyn: Interpreting the World Through Drag

In this audio profile, Gallatin sophomore Milenka Bermanova discusses being a nonbinary drag performer while dealing with alopecia, a rare autoimmune disease and how it informs their art.
Mandie Montes, UTA Senior Editor Apr 13, 2020

After coming out as nonbinary in 2018, Gallatin sophomore Milenka Bermanova realized that some of their talents such as applying expressive makeup on themselves and designing chainmail...

Staff Rants and Raves: Fruit

Staff Rants and Raves: Fruit

From durians to watermelon — here’s what our staff thinks about fruit.

Rants On Eaten Fruits Anna-Dmitry Muratova, Deputy Managing Editor This is going to be an opinion as unpopular as my previous hot take on apples, however, this needs to...

Staff Rants and Raves: Language

Staff Rants and Raves: Language

From the unnecessary and stupid rules to the struggles of learning and speaking, here’s what our staff has to say on languages.

Rants On Creative Use of Punctuation Anna-Dmitry Muratova, Deputy Managing Editor Dear Creative Writing student, please, pretty please (!), stop NOT putting punctuation...

Blueprinted Memories: An NYU Floor Plan

Blueprinted Memories: An NYU Floor Plan

A prose collection of our staff writers’ current or past experiences living in NYU Housing.

Third Avenue North Residence Hall, Room 506, North Tower By Jessica Fiorella, Voices Editor In my first year, Friday nights were always spent in the same place: my common...

Illustration by Charlie Dodge.

The Struggle to Validate Food Allergies

Students discuss the complications that arise from uncooperative roommates disregarding their allergies as a form of a disability.
Mandie Montes, UTA Senior Editor Feb 20, 2020

During the spring semester of 2019, Gallatin senior Katie Peurrung received a rather chilling message from her ex-roommate. It was a screenshot of a Google search regarding...

Staff Rants and Raves: Oscars

Staff Rants and Raves: Oscars

Sunday’s Oscars was a historic night for film. Here’s what our staff has to say about it.

Rants On Viewer’s Etiquette Jake Capriotti, Photo Editor I did not know what to expect from my first Oscars party at NYU. I attended the Third North viewing with two...

Staff Rants: Super Bowl

Staff Rants: Super Bowl

The Super Bowl — whether you care about the game or not — draws parties, commercials and more. Hear our staff’s take on the subject.

On Representation Mandie Montes, Under the Arch Senior Editor I didn’t watch the Super Bowl this year because I don’t live with my superhero, sports fan dad anymore since...

The Final Staff Rants (of the Semester)

The Final Staff Rants (of the Semester)

In honor of the semester’s final Staff Rants, we have no theme — only pent-up rage.

On Free Space By Ishaan Parmar, Deputy News Editor Look, I get it. We’re all on the homework grind. CAS, Liberal Studies, Stern, Tisch — we all have homework, and none...

Staff Rants and Raves: Thanksgiving

Staff Rants and Raves: Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is a divisive holiday, to say the least. Here’s what our staff has to say about it.

Rants On Family Bonding By Alexandria Johnson, Deputy News Editor Don't get me wrong — I love Thanksgiving. I love waking up at 7 a.m. to cook food and eating it at the...

First-year Kim DePass, bundled up on a cold day, enjoys the final days of fall in Washington Square Park on Saturday. “In any aspect of academics, I want to continue to learn history about my identity,” DePass said. (Photo by Mandie Montes)

‘No Two Latinxs Are the Same’: Afro-Latinx Academics Carve Out Their Space at NYU

Afro-Latinx students, peers and professors find community in academia and re-learning history.
Mandie Montes, Deputy Copy Chief Nov 25, 2019

“I was constantly told that I was too dark to be Latina,” Kim DePass said. DePass’ complexion makes others perceive her to be African-American. That isn’t a bad thing;...

Illustrated by Rachel Lee.

Anxiety Is My Carry-On

Four moments where I’ve struggled with not knowing how to deal with my anxiety and a little note on how I overcame my struggle.
Mandie Montes, Deputy Copy Chief Nov 15, 2019

Staff Rants: Course Registration

Staff Rants: Course Registration

We have no Staff Raves this week. Course registration is the worst.

On Jumping Through Hoops By Ethan Zack, Music Editor Can someone please tell me why underclassmen have to make an appointment with their advisor before they can register...

Staff Rants and Raves: Apple

Staff Rants and Raves: Apple

Whether you associate “apple” with the fruit or the corporation, our staff has some strong opinions.

Rants On Getting Scammed By Melanie Pineda, Editor-At-Large I remember exactly where I was when I learned my iPhone 6 was due for an upgrade. It was a warm Monday in August....

Staff Rants and Raves: Twitter

Staff Rants and Raves: Twitter

Twitter: Where memes come to life, where movements come to fruition, and where presidents come to rant. Hear what our staff has to say on what might be both the most multifaceted and divisive form of social media.

Rants On Dreams of Anonymity By Ethan Zack, Music Editor Having a Twitter account is a constant struggle between the absolute euphoria of being seen and the unrelenting...

Staff Rants and Raves: October

Staff Rants and Raves: October

Sometimes, October is less of a month and more of a vibe. Hear what our staff has to say about it.

Rants On Getting Older By Alexandria Johnson, Deputy News Editor Even though October is my birth month, I don't really look forward to it. I think it's either because...

Leopard print midi-skirt styled with a leopard print sweater on display at Madewell. (Photo by Mandie Montes)

Photo: NYU Trend Report: Back to School Edition

Aug 24, 2019