Staff Rants and Raves: Oscars

Sunday’s Oscars was a historic night for film. Here’s what our staff has to say about it.
Grace Halio

Rants

On Viewer’s Etiquette

Jake Capriotti, Photo Editor

I did not know what to expect from my first Oscars party at NYU. I attended the Third North viewing with two of my friends and was excited at first by the turnout. The beginning of the evening seemed pretty cordial, with the cheers for Janelle Monae and her shoutout to A24’s “Midsommar” until Chris Rock and Steve Martin pointed out that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos was in the audience. I don’t mean to say that I don’t understand why they were booing, but, I couldn’t hear anything because of all the booing and hissing at just the mention of his name. It felt as if I was watching a public shaming rather than an awards show. I just wanted to watch an awards show.

On Losing Yourself

Kim Rice, Deputy Copy Chief

I’m not going to lie. I wasn’t at home, so I didn’t watch the Oscars because I generally do not care. To be completely honest, I thought they’d already happened. However, we had it playing at the office and I happened to catch Eminem performing “Lose Yourself.” Two quick questions for the Academy: Why Eminem? And why “Lose Yourself?” “8 Mile” came out 18 years ago, and it’s not like it was rebooted or anything this year. I’m just a little confused. I understand that the song ended up winning an Oscar for Best Original Song back in 2003, but that was also 17 years ago. So in my opinion, he lost his opportunity to perform the song. Also, I mean — do the Oscars even need musical performers, seeing as they’re giving awards to movies? I love a good soundtrack, but I cannot stand sitting in one spot for three hours every other award night. But alas, that is another rant.

On the Actors

Divya Nelokonda, Beauty and Style Editor

Don’t get me wrong — “Parasite’s” historic Oscar wins are not to be undermined and were, frankly, a refreshing change after a rather disappointing 2019 Academy Awards. But is it wrong to ask for more Asian representation in the acting categories? “Parasite” was no doubt a cinematic masterpiece, but what would the film be without the actors and actresses within it? So many of the scenes were amplified by the dramatic performances of the family of antiheroes: think Cho Yeo-jeong in the peach scene, Song Kang-ho’s “No Plan at All” monologue and the entire Kim family as they indulge in the Park family’s luxuries when left alone with the estate. And what about Zhao Shu-zhen in “The Farewell?” Her moving performance brought a simultaneously witty and agonizing depth to her role and the film as a whole. And speaking more generally, roles by people of color in general — including (but not limited to) Lupita Nyong’o in “Us” and Eddie Murphy in “Dolemite is My Name” were shut out from acting categories, reflecting the Academy’s continued narrow interest in white narratives. I guess #OscarsSoWhite is still pretty relevant.

On 1917

Emily Dai, Deputy Opinion Editor

To all those upset about “1917” not winning Best Picture: please do not fret. A group of dudes is planning another movie exactly like “1917” as you read this, and it will be made within the next couple of years, and it will also be nominated for a load of Oscars.

On Film Boys 

Gabby Lozano, Deputy Opinion Editor

What would happen to me if I told a Tisch student that I didn’t see the Oscars?

Raves

On Julia Butters

Helen Wajda, Deputy Opinion Editor

I didn’t watch the Oscars and failed to see most of the movies that were nominated, so I don’t feel qualified to comment on them. I did, however, see that 10-year-old actress Julia Butters brought a turkey sandwich to the Oscars in her purse and ate it on the red carpet, and I’m just here to say that seeing someone who clearly understands the importance of having food at all times just in case hunger strikes made me feel seen. Thank you, Julia, for being unapologetically you.

On Cosmic Justice

Abby Hofstetter, Managing Editor

Every year, I try to predict who will win the Oscars in each category, and every year, I’m scarily accurate. The trick is to pick which movie a boomer would vote for, not which movie actually deserves the award. Which is why I predicted that Quentin Tarantino would win the Oscar for Best Director. Did he deserve it? No. “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood” was terrible. (Tisch kids, fight me in the comments.) But for some reason, the Academy loves Quentin and his Doofenshmirtz-esque chin. But this year was special — this year, my prediction was wrong. Bong Joon-ho won Best Director (and everything else), Quentin Tarantino won nothing and justice was finally served. Bless up.

On “Hair Love”

Vanessa Handy, Social Media Editor 

Two words. Hair. Love.

Karen Toliver and Matthew A. Cherry won the Oscar for Best Animated Short and won my heart. I hesitate to create the notion of a singular universal “black experience,” or how her hair is something that the majority of the black community recognizes to be symbolic. I’ve fought with my hair, been in tears over it, and hated it for years. I wish something like “Hair Love” existed when I was younger. This Oscar win is a historic moment, that reminds all individuals of our differences which make us beautiful. It reminds us that young Deandre Arnold’s dreadlocks should not be the mark of his intelligence or maturity. Most importantly, it makes those who look like me feel seen and heard. With it being Black History Month, this all feels even more timely. Kudos to the Academy, you did something right this time. 

On the Best Picture

Mandie Montes, UTA Editor

PARASITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s all. That’s the whole rave.

Email WSN Staff at [email protected].

Jake Capriotti, Photo Editor
Jake is a senior at Tisch studying film and television and has been with WSN since Spring 2020. He is an Arizona native and that is his one personality trait. Outside of WSN, Jake specializes in portraiture, performance and unit stills photography as well as being the official photographer for the NYC OffBrnd Dance Team. You can find him on Instagram @capriotti.jake and maybe he'll DM you some memes.
Kim Rice, Copy Chief
Kim is a junior (ahhhhhh) double majoring in Journalism and Politics. A born and bred New Yorker, she does say things like "cawfee" and "dawg" but please don't ask her to repeat the words for you, it's kind of annoying. You shouldn't be bumping into her really, but from a safe distance you can find her drinking an iced coffee, walking around, just taking everything in. Follow her on Instagram or Twitter @k_r_630 to see and hear random thoughts and pictures of things you can easily see and think yourself.
Divya Nelakonda, Beauty & Style Editor
Divya is a Tisch sophomore majoring in Collaborative Arts. She’s a little lost — yes, in life — but, seriously, she’s directionally challenged, so if you see her, she could probably use directions. Currently in California, she misses the sights, sounds, and dogs-wearing-jackets of the NYC streets. She spends most of her days watching movie trailers instead of picking one and reading recipes that she’ll inevitably improvise in the kitchen. Follow her on Instagram @tskd, or better yet, add her on Co-Star @divya.n.
Emily Dai, Opinion Editor
Emily is a sophomore studying Politics and Economics. She is from Richmond, Virginia and is passionate about presidents, Pride and Prejudice and public transportation. Reach her on Instagram @emliydai for podcast recommendations and Supreme Court discourse.
Gabby Lozano, Dining Editor
Gabby Lozano is a senior studying Global Liberal Studies and minoring in food studies. After NYU, she aspires to work as a digital reporter or producer, but her dream is to become the next Anthony Bourdain. When she's not in school or at WSN, you can find her in the kitchen burning garlic or going for a run along the East River. Follow her latest eats on Instagram @gabriellalasagna.
Helen Wajda, Opinion Editor
Helen is a junior double majoring in Childhood/Special Education and English. She's from Upstate New York (actually Upstate, not Westchester) and enjoys making extremely specific playlists when she's not writing. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram @helenwajda.
Vanessa Handy, Social Media Editor
Vanessa is a CAS sophomore studying Journalism and Media, Culture, and Communication. She's from New Jersey, and fueled by R&B and carbs. Aside from social media work, she writes stories focused on Black-American affairs and music. Find her @vanessabhandy on all platforms for unsolicited music reccomendations.
Mandie Montes, Under the Arch Managing Editor
Mandie Montes is a senior double majoring in Journalism and Latino Studies with a minor in French. Yes, that's a mouthful, so try not to ask her about it, ever. She really doesn't know what else to include in this bio and unfortunately because we're in a pandemic, you won't be able to bump into her on the streets of New York. Guess you’ll just have to follow her @mandiemontes on Twitter/Instagram to meet her ~virtually~ and see what she's up to.
Abby Hofstetter, Managing Editor
Abby is a CAS junior studying History, Creative Writing and probably something else. She's from Long Island, but please don't bring that up. If you need her, you can find her discussing the third season of Glee or why olives should be banned from consumption. Contact her for a terrible time.
Grace Halio, Editor-at-Large
Grace Halio has spent the past three years working at WSN because her job has an actual title, unlike her concentration in Gallatin. She's studying how journalism and public art can be narratives for social and climate injustice, but has a soft spot in her heart for New York Fashion Week and all things Features Desk. A Long Island native, she could likely live off of bagels. Grace spent her spring 2016 semester studying in Florence, Italy. Unfortunately, she did not turn into Lizzie McGuire; fortunately, she ate a lot of cheese. She looks forward to returning to the motherland. In the meantime, however, you can find her fighting for the necessity of the oxford comma and making pasta for dinner six nights a week. Follow her on Twitter to see her creative 140 character complaints or on Instagram to take a peek at how she spends her free time.