Staff Rants: Midterms and midterms

It’s the middle of the term! The WSN staff offers our thoughts on our exam-packed weeks and the ongoing congressional election season.

On unoriginality:

It’s really unoriginal of NYU to hold midterm exams during the midterm elections. As an academic institution that discourages plagiarism, it shouldn’t steal ideas like that.

— Carmo Moniz, Deputy News Editor 

On what qualifies as a season:

My midterm season is not really a season, or a week, but a day. The day of Oct. 26, on which I will be taking all three of my midterms.

— Kevin Wu, Photo Editor

On elections:

My fall midterms being about the 2022 midterm elections on top of midterm election coverage planning at my internship makes me question — what midterm of the midterm season is the most important? 

Thank you to the NBC Election 2020 stress ball that still helps me relieve stress two years later. 

— Edward Franco, Video Director 

On living out of state:

Preparing to vote absentee from out of state has been way more difficult and frustrating than studying for my midterms — and by that, I mean my one midterm on Halloween, which should be illegal. I am more acquainted with the California Secretary of State office than I am with my textbooks. 

— Alexandra Cohen, Opinion Editor 

On procrastinating:

I’m leaving my 15-page research paper up to future me. I know that future me will have my back! 

— Abi Rivera, Deputy Opinion Editor 

On stress:

Waiting for midterm grades is more stressful than preparing for them.

— Tori Morales, Deputy News Editor

On overlap:

I am too busy to be paying attention to either midterm season. Exams? I do not have the time to effectively study for everything. I have also conveniently forgotten to pay attention to half of my classes so far, which is unsurprisingly not helpful. Elections? This is the first time I have been eligible to vote, and I’m flying blind. How to register, what state to register in, why my home state of Massachusetts has a Pirate Party — these are questions that have no answers. 

— Jules Roscoe, Opinion Editor

On voting by mail:

I finally remembered to request my mail-in ballot right before the New York deadline. This was on my to-do list three weeks ago. I would’ve opted to vote in person, but the university has not declared Election Day a university holiday.

— Shamon Lawrence, Deputy Opinion Editor

On sucking:

Both suck. 

— Rachel Cohen, Managing Editor 

On Georgia:

I can’t decide which is worse — studying for my math midterms or having everyone send me the latest Herschel Walker news because I’m voting in Georgia’s midterms. 

— Lauren Ashe, Deputy News Editor

On what matters in the future:

I won’t remember anything from the midterm I spent hours studying for, but I’ll remember the ballot that took two seconds to fill out.

— Lorraine Olaya, Deputy Managing Editor

WSN’s Opinion section strives to publish ideas worth discussing. The views presented in the Opinion section are solely the views of the writers. 

Contact the opinion desk at [email protected].