Carol Lee

Carol Lee, Editor-at-large

All content by Carol Lee
Marie Claire Design Director Wanyi Jiang is a Gallatin Alumna. The creative has worked through multiple magazines and setbacks but keeps pushing forward. (Photo by Wanyi Jiang)

Wanyi Jiang Has Put in the Work but Makes It Look Easy

From a jack-of-all-arts NYU student to Marie Claire’s Design Director.
Carol Lee, Editor-at-Large May 7, 2020

It’s hard not to fall in love with Marie Claire Design Director Wanyi Jiang. It might be downright impossible. If you’re not lucky enough to meet the NYU Gallatin School of...

Wollman Rink in Central Park is a popular skating spot for New Yorkers. (Via Wikimedia Tomás Fano)

Winter Wonderland: Culture Desk Dishes Their Favorite New York City Winter Activities

When the weather outside is frightful, the Culture Desk finds these activities delightful.
Lauren Gruber, Calais Watkins, Bella Gil and Carol Lee December 4, 2019

The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree. Hot chocolate from Serendipity 3. The Union Square Holiday Market. “Home Alone 2: Lost In New York,” “Miracle on 34th Street” and...

Clinton Street Baking Company is a must-try all-day brunch spot. (Staff Photo by Carol Lee)

Culture Desk Dining: Farewell Edition

The culture desk reveals where they go to dine before saying farewell to the city for winter break.
Calais Watkins, Lauren Gruber, Carol Lee and Bella Gil December 3, 2019

For those of us lucky enough to avoid cramming in a credit requirement during J-term, leaving the city for a breath of fresh air and slower pace is a welcome break. But there’s...

The WSN Culture Desk introduces the trends of the season. (Staff Illustration by Min Ji Kim)

NYU Trend Report: Winter Edition

What are the most fashionable students in the most fashionable city in the U.S. wearing?
Carol Lee, Culture Editor December 2, 2019

Although chilly weather and chilling finals have most college students scrambling for their sweats, NYU students still strive for style. Below are some of the trends you’ll be...

Back and Better: Tia Jonsson is Ready to Begin Again

This model talks vitiligo, speaking Mandarin and taking a break from school.
Carol Lee, Culture Editor November 7, 2019

Tia Jonsson lives in an unremarkable building on a quiet street on the Lower East Side. So unassuming, in fact, I would have walked right past if I hadn’t been looking for it....

An oversized blazer is an easy way to dress up a T-shirt and jeans. (Via Flickr)

NYU Trend Report: Fall Edition

Carol Lee, Culture Editor October 20, 2019

‘Tis the season when one day you might sport a T-shirt with a pithy slogan like “I love cats,” and the next you’re forced to dig out your warm — albeit a little basic...

Leopard print midi-skirt styled with a leopard print sweater on display at Madewell. (Photo by Mandie Montes)

NYU Trend Report: Back to School Edition

Carol Lee, Culture Editor August 24, 2019

What is Welcome Week if not an opportunity for NYU students to show off their stellar summer outfits? Here are a few of the trends you’ll be sure to see strutting down University...

Wearing loud shades of green and pink, students showcase the new neon style trend. (Alana Beyer)

NYU Trend Report: Colors and Textiles Edition

Carol Lee, Beauty & Style Editor April 29, 2019

NYU students are notorious for their refusal to ascribe to the stereotypical college uniform of sweats and a Jansport. Here are some color and textile trends students are either...

Glitter, Glitz and the Golden Years

Glitter, Glitz and the Golden Years

Carol Lee, Beauty & Style Editor April 25, 2019

Fringe Spring 2019 | One Last Dance

Fringe Spring 2019 | One Last Dance

This issue is an ode to the moments that only fashion can capture: the awkward photo shoots, the first dances and the unforgettable memories.

Mannequins spotted wearing spring apparel in SoHo. (Staff Photo by Min Ji Kim)

NYU Trend Report: Spring Edition

Carol Lee, Beauty & Style Editor April 1, 2019

IN Square-Toe Chelsea Boots Edgy. We’ve gone through the round, and we’ve gone through the pointy. Now it’s time for the rise of the square. These rectangular reiterations...

During the Oneirornaut showcase by Shayna Feuer, a model mimes sleeping. (Photo by Jorene He)

Gallatin Designers Bring Dreams to Life on the Runway

Flying bears, night terrors, Arizona and more.
Carol Lee, Beauty & Style Editor March 11, 2019

Audience members dove into the subconscious of the Gallatin School of Individualized Study’s designers during this year’s Gallatin Fashion Show: Dreams and Dreamscapes. The...

Colorful teddy coats line the walls of Urban Outfitters on 3rd Avenue. (Staff Photo by Julia McNeill)

NYU Trend Report: Winter to Spring Edition

Carol Lee, Beauty & Style Editor March 4, 2019

NYU students are notorious for their refusal to ascribe to the stereotypical college uniform of sweats and a Jansport. Here are some of the trends students are loving or leaving...

Tandra Birkett, co-founder of Harlem Fashion Week, is interviewed at the Museum of the City of New York. (via instagram.com)

NYU Alumna Tandra Birkett: Bringing Fashion Week to Harlem

From political science major at NYU to co-creator of Harlem Fashion Week
Carol Lee, Beauty & Style Editor February 11, 2019

Harlem-raised entrepreneur and educational consultant Tandra Birkett started collaborating in 2016 with her daughter, fashion designer Yvonne Jewnell, to bring fashion week to...

(Illustration by Sophia Di Iorio)

The (Not So) Life-Changing Magic of Tidying up Your Makeup

These are the ‘clean' ingredients your makeup bag needs.
Carol Lee, Beauty & Style Editor January 31, 2019

In May 2018, Sephora launched its “Clean at Sephora” sticker likely looking to capitalize on the wellness movement that Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop has made infamous in recent...

Chanel Atelier, a new beauty store in Soho, Jan. 25, New York City (Staff Photo by Alina Patrick).

Chanel Opens the Ultimate Chic Beauty Destination

The chic beauty workshop that we’ve all been waiting for comes courtesy of Chanel’s newest project.
Carol Lee, Beauty & Style Editor January 28, 2019

Nestled in the depths of SoHo on 120.5 Wooster St., the brand new Atelier Beauté Chanel opened at exactly 12 p.m. on Jan. 25 to little fanfare. The opening hadn’t been aggressively...

(Illustration by Rachel Buigas-Lopez)

The Best Beauty Products of 2018 According to NYU Kids

Your skin wants you to read this article.
Carol Lee, Staff Writer December 3, 2018

NYU students are notorious for their fashion and beauty consciousness. So who better to ask for the best beauty and skincare products of 2018? Below are five products to carry...

(Photo by Justin Park)

Enter the Pink Haven of Glossier’s New Flagship Store

SoHo just got a little Glossier
Carol Lee, Staff Writer November 12, 2018
SoHo just got a little Glossier
Students during IRHCs annual Flurry ice skating event at Wollman Rink on Tuesday. (Courtesy of IRHC)

NYU Couples Flock to Flurry

Cuffing season — on ice.
Carol Lee, Staff Writer November 9, 2018
Cuffing season — on ice.
Photo courtesy of Carol Lee.

I Wore the Same Outfit Everyday for a Week

Carol Lee, Contributing Writer October 31, 2018
Call the fashion police, because this girl just outfit repeated — seven times in a row.
(Illustration by Sophia Di Iorio)

Is NYU Too Cold For Cuffing Season?

The weather's getting colder, which means cozy drinks, decorative scarves and maybe even a fall fling.
Carol Lee, Contributing Writer October 15, 2018

Fall and winter may be the seasons of apple-picking, thanks-giving and gift-exchanging, but beneath this shiny surface lurks a much less pleasant phenomenon: crippling loneliness...

The new zit stick from Glossier has just released.

Glossier Zits, Happier Skin

Carol Lee, Contributing Writer September 26, 2018

For many NYU students, coming back to school goes hand in hand with breaking out. Maybe it’s the New York City air, maybe the late nights or both. Whatever the cause, affected...