NYU Trend Report: Winter Edition

What are the most fashionable students in the most fashionable city in the U.S. wearing?
The WSN Culture Desk introduces the trends of the season. (Staff Illustration by Min Ji Kim)

Although chilly weather and chilling finals have most college students scrambling for their sweats, NYU students still strive for style. Below are some of the trends you’ll be sure to see while dashing through Washington Square Park on the way to class.

Extra-Long Parkas
Wear that upright sleeping bag and wear it proudly.

What better way to keep out the wintry winds than an ankle-length parka? Paired with a nice beanie, gloves and some snow boots, you’re literally covered from head to toe. And if you slip on some sidewalk snow because the jaunty jacket limits mobility, no problem. As long as the parka’s nice and padded, you won’t feel a thing. Good luck getting back up on your own, though.

White Denim
Yes, even after Labor Day.

Haven’t you heard? White denim is what the cool kids are wearing now. Sure, it’s not as flattering as darker washes. And sure, you have to be on high alert for stains the entire time you choose to don it. But don’t worry — you’ll get so many envious glances from all of the hip people at that obscure-yet-happening coffee shop in Brooklyn, it’ll all be worth it in the end.

Super High-Waisted Pants
If it doesn’t reach your nipples, it’s wrong.

We’ve come a long way since the low-rise jeans of the early 2000s. About 6-9 inches, to be exact. Lately, the waists of the most popular pants have been so absurdly high they basically double as corsets. Maybe they’ll even give your boobs a little extra support. Okay, maybe not, but you can’t overlook how small your waist looks in them. Or how awe-inspiring your butt is when you squeeze into one of them. Nice.

A version of this article appears in the Monday, Dec. 2, 2019, print edition. Email Carol Lee at [email protected].