NYU Trend Report: Colors and Textiles Edition

What are the most fashionable students in the most fashionable city in the U.S. wearing?
Alana Beyer
Wearing loud shades of green and pink, students showcase the new neon style trend. (Alana Beyer)

NYU students are notorious for their refusal to ascribe to the stereotypical college uniform of sweats and a Jansport. Here are some color and textile trends students are either loving or leaving behind.

IN

Neon
Nice and obnoxious.
Neon reared its flashy head in the form of turtlenecks last fall. And just when the barely-resurrected trend seemed to be dying, designers brought it back with glee during New York Fashion Week S/S 2018. NYU students have already begun incorporating these loud shades into their ensembles and achieving that oh-so-coveted just-drenched-myself-in-highlighter-ink look. After all, what better city to be noisy in than the city that’s never quiet?

Stick of butter
Delish does (kinda) rhyme with stylish.
A few months ago, esteemed fashion blog Man Repeller debuted the concept of dressing like “a stick of butter.” It’s quite simple — all you have to do is build your outfit from any clothing you have in a shade that resembles yellow, ivory, white and sometimes beige. Effortlessly chic and a little whimsical, this color scheme is sure to extend from the winter far into spring and summer. A little butter makes everything better. 

OUT

Corduroy
Bored with cords.
Corduroy really had us going there for a while. Corduroy replaced the denim in our pants, skirts and jackets in nice fall and winter shades like burnt umber and eggplant purple. Paired with plenty of buttons, the tender textile seemed invincible. But alas, as with most overdone trends, NYU students soon seemed to tire of cords. It’s been a bumpy ride.

A version of this article appears in the Monday, April 29, 2019, print edition. Email Carol Lee at [email protected].