Matthew Fischetti

Matthew Fischetti, News Editor

Matthew is a senior in CAS studying journalism and politics. When he's not writing or reading, you can find him on Twitter @matt_fischetti.
All content by Matthew Fischetti
A protester holds a sign reading Breonna Taylor Deserved Better. Protests continue for the second consecutive day, with around 200 people gathering in Union Square Park. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Protesters Demand Justice for Breonna Taylor for Second Consecutive Day After Ruling

An estimated crowd of 200 gathered at Union Square to protest the Kentucky grand jury’s Sept. 23 decision.
Matthew Fischetti, Rachel Cohen and Mei Lamison September 25, 2020

Protestors gathered at Union Square on the evening of Thursday, Sept. 24 after a Kentucky grand jury decided Wednesday to bring no direct charges against Louisville Metro Police...

A protester holds up a sign reading Black Womens Lives Matter at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. People protested all over New York City after a grand jury decided not to charge Louisville cops for the murder of Breonna Taylor. (Staff Photo by Jake Capriotti)

Protests Demanding Justice For Breonna Taylor Sweep New York City

A Brooklyn protest and a Manhattan protest, thousands strong, joined together to demand justice for Breonna Taylor, who was fatally shot in her own apartment by Louisville police officers.
Matthew Fischetti and Rachel Cohen September 24, 2020

Thousands of protesters took to New York City’s streets the night of Wednesday, Sept. 23 after none of the Louisville Metro Police Department officers who shot Breonna Taylor...

The Rubin Hall NYU student dormitory is on Fifth Avenue and 10th Street. University spokesperson John Beckman released a statement confirming four COVID-19 cases at Rubin and indicated the hall will be on lockdown for the next few days. (Staff Photo by Alexandra Chan)

NYU’s Rubin Hall placed under mandatory quarantine

After four Rubin residents tested positive for COVID-19, the rest of the residents have been confined to their rooms until at least Tuesday.
Matthew Fischetti and Trace Miller September 14, 2020

NYU’s Rubin Residence Hall has been placed under temporary quarantine after NYU’s testing program detected four asymptomatic cases of COVID-19. At around 5 p.m. residents of...

Earlier this week, Washington Square Park was the venue for an impromptu “rave” attended by a crowd of young people. NY Governor Cuomo and NYU Spokesman John Beckman have argued over the university’s jurisdiction to break up the crowd of people. (Photo by Alex Bazeley)

Cuomo Blasts NYU for Not Breaking Up Rave

NYU replied that it had no jurisdiction to do so and attempted to rectify seemingly contradictory statements.
Matthew Fischetti, News Editor September 10, 2020

New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo ripped into NYU’s administration for failing to break up the Sept. 5 rave, which is suspected to have been attended by NYU students. “You...

NYU’s Bursar Office dealing with financial-aid issues is located in the StudentLink Center at 383 Lafayette. Some NYU students have received identical financial aid awards to last year, despite an increase in tuition. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

NYU Raising Tuition Amid COVID-19 Pandemic

NYU will be raising undergraduate tuition by over $700 for the fall semester, despite historic rates of joblessness due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor June 26, 2020

While the possibility of a fully remote semester looms as COVID-19 cases continue to increase across the United States, NYU has decided to raise tuition rates for the upcoming...

NYPD vans are parked in front of the NYU Academic Resource Center. (Staff Photo via Veronica Liow)

Student Government Assembly Chair Resigns Over Conflicting Statement, Relationship Between the NYPD and NYU Public Safety Remains Unclear

Student Government Assembly Chairperson Raj Kittusamy resigned just over two weeks into his term after releasing a statement which appeared to call for increased university ties to the NYPD.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor June 5, 2020

Student Government Assembly Chairperson Raj Kittusamy has resigned following criticism of a statement that appeared to call for the university to increase ties with the New York...

The office of Fraternity and Sorority Life located at the Center for Student Life at NYU. (Staff Photo via Darcey Pittman).

Fraternity Suspended After Racist Messages Leaked Amid Nationwide Anti-Racist Protests

Lambda Phi Epsilon has been suspended after screenshots of several members' messages in a private group chat were shared on Twitter.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor May 30, 2020

The NYU chapter of the Lambda Phi Epsilon fraternity has been suspended indefinitely by both the University and the national fraternity after racist GroupMe messages concerning...

A student looks up at the Washington Square Park arch, a hallmark of NYUs campus. An email sent out by Provost Katherine Fleming announced that NYU plans to return to campus in the fall. (Staff photo by Alex Tran)

NYU Announces Intent to Return to In Person Classes in the Fall

Provost Katherine Fleming described tentative plans to resume in person classes for the fall semester.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor May 19, 2020

In an email sent on Tuesday, May 19 to students, NYU Provost Katherine Fleming announced a series of plans being considered by the university in order to avoid a fully remote semester...

New York political campaigns have started to alter their course due to quarantine complications. Platforms like Twitter and Zoom are currently being used to spread campaign messages and promises. (Staff Illustration by Charlie Dodge)

Campaigning During the COVID-19 Pandemic

How New York City Congressional Candidate Lindsey Boylan is adjusting her campaign strategy due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor May 7, 2020

From her Chelsea apartment, Lindsey Boylan props her phone on her desk, adjusts her light and presses record. “Essential workers like grocery store clerks, nursing home aids...

Zoe Ragouzeos and Carlo Ciotoli speak about health and wellness during an online forum. Earlier this month, NYU Student Government hosted a discussion about COVID-19 for the NYU community. (Staff Photo by Chelsea Li)

SGA Hosts Zoom Forum on COVID-19 Response

To ease student concerns regarding the pandemic, the Student Government Assembly hosted a Zoom forum with university leadership.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor April 13, 2020

Last week, the Student Government Assembly held a joint online town hall with various university officials to answer students’ questions concerning COVID-19. For students...

The New School is located at 72 5th Ave. Recently, Students at the New School have called for an academic strike starting April 6 in response to how the university has dealt with the COVID-19 pandemic. (Photo Courtesy of Mercedes Pedrero)

Students at The New School Stage Academic Strike

Students attending The New School have called upon their peers to refuse registering for and attending classes in a move to protest the administration’s response to the pandemic.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor April 8, 2020

Students at the New School have called for an academic strike starting April 6 in response to the university’s management of the COVID-19 pandemic. Participants in the strike...

During the COVID-19 pandemic, many institutions including NYU, have turned to Zoom, the video conferencing platform for the transition to online learning. Zoom’s suspicious privacy policies have come under scrutiny. (Staff Photo by Jake Capriotti)

Zoom Updates Privacy Policy After Criticism

The video conferencing platform has removed its active monitoring feature and a clause allowing the possibility for the company to share user data with third parties.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor April 3, 2020

Zoom — the online conferencing platform used by NYU following its switch to remote instruction — has updated its privacy policy after receiving heavy criticism over questionable...

The NYC skyline is one of the many recognizable icons of the city. Mayor Bill de Blasio stated today that NYC will not go under quarantine in response to rumors floating around amidst increasing COVID-19 cases in the city. (Staff Photo by Jake Capriotti)

Despite Rumors, New York City Will Not Be Quarantined

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio announced there were no plans to quarantine NYC on Thursday.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor March 13, 2020

Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio put out statements on Thursday, March 12 denying rumors that New York City was going to be placed under mass quarantine or shut down public transportation. "To...

With the number of cases of COVID-19 in the US quickly increasing, universities are taking steps to protect their students. CCNY, located in New York - a state with one of the highest infected patients, is no exception. (Photo by Nina Schifano)

CCNY Students Call for Campus Closure

Many colleges in the city opted for remote classes this week. Students in The City College of New York’s student government demanded their administration make the switch as well.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor March 11, 2020

As colleges — including NYU — cancel classes in New York City and across the country, the undergraduate Student Government for the City College of New York called on their...

For a few months, many have struggled with the steps that should be taken to face the coronavirus, including increased hand sanitizer use. The NYU community received an email on Monday evening detailing the rules the university will set in place for a campus-wide shut down. (Staff Photo by Alexandra Chan)

Washington Square Campus to Cease In-Person Classes Amid Coronavirus

NYU’s Washington Square Campus will switch to online classes in an attempt to contain the spread of coronavirus starting Wednesday.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor March 9, 2020

After hours of mixed signals from faculty, students received official word that NYU is canceling in-person classes in favor of video conferencing as coronavirus cases continue...

Panelists at SGA’s Emergency Preparedness Town Hall prepare to speak to the audience. Student Government Chairperson Jakiyah Bradley and NYU President Andrew Hamilton responded to questions submitted online. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

Hamilton Advises ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’ at Town Hall

NYU’s Student Government Assembly hosted a Town Hall with President Andrew Hamilton discussing NYU’s emergency response protocol, particularly in regard to the growing threat of coronavirus.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor March 2, 2020

President Andrew Hamilton and various officials discussed how the university prepares and deals with emergency situations, such as the Coronavirus, during a Town Hall on Monday. The...

The United Federation of Teachers met with Wall Street supporters of Bernie Sanders during one of the candidate’s rallies. (Image via Gage Skidmore @flickr)

Teachers Campaign for Bernie on Wall Street

The United Federation of Teachers handed out flyers in support of presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and his education reform plan.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor February 14, 2020

While Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign moves to South Carolina after winning the New Hampshire primary, some of his supporters are campaigning in an unlikely place — Wall...

An apartment building near Van Leeuwen on 7th St in the East Village caught on fire. 
(Staff Photo by Matthew Fischetti)

Apartment Fire Near Van Leeuwen Injures Five

Two apartment buildings caught fire Monday afternoon, causing five first responders to sustain minor injuries.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor February 11, 2020

A fire engulfed two apartment buildings near Second Avenue late this afternoon and injured five first responders, said Deputy Assistant Fire Chief Michael Ajello. At approximately...

NYCHA met with the current Green Party presidential candidate Howie Hawkins to talk about housing (Staff Photo via Matthew Fischetti)

Chelsea Residents Resist Public Housing Privatization at Town Hall

Residents and activists in Chelsea hosted a town hall discussing how to prevent NYCHA properties from being privatized.
Matthew Fischetti, Deputy News Editor February 7, 2020

More than 30 Chelsea community members and activists sat in the auditorium of New York Public School 33 on Tuesday to attend the second Fight for NYCHA town hall.  Fight for...

Around 20 students sat down to watch the fifth democratic debate. The event was co-hosted by NYU For Cory Booker and NYU For Bernie. (Photo by Matthew Fischetti)

Students for Booker, Sanders Find Community With Debate Watch Party

At a watch party co-hosted by NYU For Cory Booker and NYU For Bernie, students saw divided candidates come together on some issues, while still distinguishing themselves from each other.
Matthew Fischetti, Staff Writer November 22, 2019

“The first thing I want to do is make people give a sh-t again,” Gallatin junior Courtney Curd said as members of NYU For Cory Booker and NYU For Bernie were tying up a goldfish...

Student Health Center provides resources for transgender students. (Photo by Nina Schifano)

Transgender Students Push for More Resources

The NYU LGBTQ+ Center hosted a panel discussion with members of the Gender and Sexuality team from the Student Health Center last Thursday as part of Trans Awareness Week.
Matthew Fischetti, Staff Writer November 18, 2019

Students are responsible for many of NYU’s structural changes — it was students who got the school to remove a question about incarceration from the common application, who...

Students from across the city gathered to call on their universities to divest from fossil fuels and reach carbon neutrality by 2025.

College Students Demand Climate Action From New York City Universities

In a march on Thursday, students from Columbia, CUNY, The New School and NYU, among others, called for their colleges to achieve carbon neutrality and divestment of fossil fuels.
Matthew Fischetti, Staff Writer November 11, 2019

Instead of going out on Thursday night, hundreds of New York City college students pressed universities to take action on climate change in a march from Bryant Park to Washington...

The self-dubbed ‘modmin’ team manages NYUMSFBT, approving posts and moderating comments. (Illustration by Jinny Hwang)

NYU Meme Page Bans Some International Student Memes, Citing Stereotyping

NYU Memes for Slightly Bankrupt Teens will more strictly monitor content having to do with international students.
Matthew Fischetti, Contributing Writer November 5, 2019

Memes that use the term “international students” will be more heavily monitored on NYU students’ go-to meme page to avoid thinly-veiled racism against East Asians, according...

Frank Baez (right) with his professor Fidelindo Lim (left.) Baez graduated from New York University Rory Meyers College of Nursing years after he worked here as a janitor. (Photo by Matthew Fischetti)

From Langone Custodian to Nursing Graduate, the Story of Frank Baez

Originally from the Dominican Republic, Baez worked as a Custodian at NYU Langone before eventually studying at, and graduating from, NYU Meyers College of Nursing.
Matthew Fischetti, Contributing Writer October 28, 2019

Many students at NYU find it difficult to balance their lives between exams, internships and extracurriculars. But Frank Baez, a 2019 graduate of Rory Meyers College of Nursing,...

Malid Asad is a smoke shop owner whose store is close to Washington Square Park. Asad and several other employees and managers describe the tremendous impact the flavored vape ban would have on their businesses. (Staff Photo by Min Ji Kim)

Local Smoke Shops Fear Impact of Proposed Flavored E-Cigarette Ban

Governor Andrew Cuomo called for the ban after studies linked vaping with serious lung illnesses, but vape and smoke shop owners say a ban on flavored vapes not only hurts their profit, but is also misplaced.
Matthew Fischetti, Contributing Writer October 21, 2019

New York’s proposed ban on flavored e-cigarettes is meant to protect the large population of young people who vape, but it may be hurting small business owners in its attempt...

On Oct 19, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez officially endorsed democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders at a campaign rally in Queensbridge Park. (Staff Photo by Julia McNeill)

Bernie Looks to Revitalize Campaign With Queens Rally

Receiving a key endorsement from progressive Congressmember Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Sen. Bernie Sanders hoped to gain momentum after a heart attack left him off the campaign trail for weeks.

With AC/DC’s “Back in Black” blaring in the background, U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) took the stage on Saturday morning to convince a nation, and a crowd of over...

On Wednesday, UN Special Rapporteur on Extreme Poverty and Human Rights Philip Alston, Faculty Director and Co-Chair of the Program on Justice and Human Rights Margaret Satterthwaite, and Founding Director of said program César Rodriguez-Garavito discussed how to report on poverty. They spoke at the panel “Do Human Rights Investigations Matter? The Case of the UN Special Rapporteur on Extreme Poverty” hosted by The Latham & Watkins law firm at Vanderbilt Hall. (Nina Schifano)

UN Rapporteur Talks How to Be Effective in Addressing Human Rights Violations

At an NYU Law event, Philip Alston said considering one’s audience is essential when spurring action on human rights violations.
Matthew Fischetti, Contributing Writer October 18, 2019

Those working to improve human rights must better consider communities and their environments, U.N. Special Rapporteur on Extreme Poverty Philip Alston said at an NYU School of...

Graduate students could lose their right to unionize. (Photo courtesy GSOC)

NYU’s Graduate Student Union Could Lose University Recognition

A proposal by the National Labor Review Board could threaten the status of graduate workers at private universities.
Matthew Fischetti, Contributing Writer September 25, 2019

The National Labor Review Board proposed a new rule last week that would redefine graduate students as nonworkers, preventing them from unionizing and participating in collective...