Editor’s Note: COVID news and how to make your voice heard

Alex Tey, Editor-in-Chief

*|MC:SUBJECT|*

Editor's Note January 29, 2022

Editor’s Note is a weekly newsletter from WSN’s editor-in-chief that brings you the week’s top stories — and the stories behind the stories.
Hi everyone!

Welcome back to Editor’s Note! I hope you’ve all been having a smooth start to the semester and staying healthy.

If you’re interested in hearing some more of my thoughts on where we are right now (as a newspaper and as a university, as well as me personally), check out my letter from the editor that ran on Monday.

For now, though, here are this week’s top stories.
COVID-19 news

NYU’s COVID policies and requirements can be confusing. Here’s what you need to know. And if you test positive for the virus, here’s what you should do.

Some students have found their professors unwilling to offer the flexibility that NYU had previously said would be needed.

Given the risk of transmission that in-person classes bring — especially for immunocompromised students — our house editorial calls for NYU to require a remote learning option. One student’s petition for remote learning gathered thousands of signatures.

“The university does not care about those who will be most affected.” Srishti Bungle argues that NYU’s reopening is ableist.

Arts and culture

Gallatin junior Tiger Ji’s short film “Wuhan Driver” is a thoughtful reflection on rising anti-Asian sentiment that falls short in creativity, Nico Pedrero-Setzer writes.

Yas Akdag reviews FKA twigs’ latest album, the 17-track mixtape “CAPRISONGS”: “buoyant, the most I-don’t-give-a-fuck I’ve ever heard FKA twigs.”

Dabble in mixology with Phoebe Goldman’s guide to the classic gin and tonic.

What do you lose access to when you lose your phone? More than you think — and probably more than you should, Sabrina Choudhary writes.

Columns

This week’s installment of Ranked makes a case for the best bad movies.

The Soapbox covers a coup in Burkina Faso, extreme weather in southern Africa, and an earthquake in volcano-stricken Tonga.

Listen to This reviews new tracks from Charlie Puth, Father John Misty, Animal Collective, Big Thief and more.

The Daybook, a new weekly column, lists events at and around NYU.
As always, you can find these and more great articles at nyunews.com.

But what if you think our articles aren't that great?

Tell us about it! We welcome letters to the editor on pretty much anything (although we can't guarantee they'll all get published), but we're especially interested in hearing criticisms of our coverage. As NYU's student paper, we serve everyone on campus — but at the same time, we realize that not everyone on campus is going to agree with everything we publish. That's why it's important to us that you have the chance to be heard if you think we got something wrong or missed something entirely.

This is also a great way to get a broader audience aware of that stupid thing NYU did that you think more people should be talking about — much better than just tweeting about it to your 200 followers, if you ask me.

And if you'd like to send us your praises, that's fine too. Go to nyunews.com/submit to learn more. (Please keep in mind that we can't publish everything we receive, and we don't take things down once they're published.)

That page also has information on how to submit tips about things you think more people should know (it's really easy — email [email protected] or fill out the form on our Linktree) and how to pitch a story to us (short answer — email [email protected]).

We're also always looking for more contributors and staff! You can learn more about joining WSN here, and you can fill out this form to get in contact with us. You can also find us at Club Fest this Wednesday, Feb. 2, from 4-7 p.m. — RSVP and learn more on NYU Engage.

If you've got questions, comments, anything like that — please reach out to me directly at the email down below. You can also find me on Twitter at @teythemtheirs.

That’s all I have for you today! Until next week,

—the editor

Alex Tey
she/they
[email protected]
Website
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
Spotify

Want to join WSN?

We're always looking for writers, photographers, videographers, podcasters, copy editors, graphic designers and web programmers to join our team. Email [email protected] or visit nyunews.com/join for more information.

Copyright © 2022 Washington Square News, all rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
75 3rd Ave., #SB07
New York, NY 10003

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Trouble loading the content in this email? View this email in your browser