Stop Being Basic With Your Avocados

Katie Armstrong, Contributing Writer

Everyone’s favorite superfood right now is avocado. It is delicious, healthy and — while it will cost you a little bit more of your oh-so-limited campus cash at Chipotle — it is totally worth every penny.

Avocados have a myriad of health benefits and an expansive list of uses. While there is nothing wrong with good ol’ guac or avocado toast, it is time to get creative. Here are six things you can do with avocado:

Avocado Smoothies

Though the most popular way to eat avocado for breakfast may be avocado toast, smoothies will soon become a close second. Throw a little bit of avocado, kale, ginger, banana, honey and almond milk into a blender and have yourself a scrumptious and green breakfast smoothie on the go.

Baked Avocado and Eggs

A personal favorite, this quick and easy recipe turns an avocado into a personal breakfast bowl. Take a Hass avocado, cut it in half, remove the pit, crack an egg into the crater of one half — storing the other half for tomorrow’s breakfast — add salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle cheese on top and stick it all in the oven at 420 degrees for 15 minutes. When that’s done, sprinkle on bacon bits and chives and dig in.

Avocado Pasta Sauce

Mixing 2 avocados with 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/3 cup of olive oil and a 1/2 cup of basil leaves in a food processor creates a healthy, creamy pasta sauce. Add some salt and pepper and parmesan cheese, pour over pasta and your feast is prepared.

Avocado as a Butter

You can use avocado in place of butter without having to do any conversions whatsoever. If your recipe calls for one cup of butter, use one cup pureed avocado instead. Things may get a tad more difficult when trying to substitute oil with avocado because of the consistency, but throwing some water into the mix until the desired texture is reached should do the trick. Using avocado to bake is great because it is vegan and introduces a plethora of vitamins and nutrients that would be excluded otherwise.

Avocado Face Mask

Treat yourself! Take a break from studying to make a face mask with half a mashed up avocado, a teaspoon of yogurt and some honey. The yogurt and honey combat acne and oil, while the avocado moisturizes your face, leaving you with a radiant glow. Hang out with your monster green face for an hour and see if you can freak out your roommate before washing it off.

Email Katie Armstrong at [email protected].