Meals by Mail: Subscription boxes

Graze delivers a personalized box of nutritious snacks for only $11.99 for the box of 8 snacks.

Taylor Nicole Rogers, Contributing Writer

No longer is taking a trip to the grocery store the only way to fill your pantry. Students who’d rather not brave the line at Trader Joe’s should consider a food subscription box. A wide range of monthly food subscriptions are available, delivering anything from cured meats to beer.

Health conscious students who struggle to find convenient snack options should consider a subscription to Graze. Graze delivers a personalized box of nutritious snacks ranging from dried fruits and popcorn to a cookies and cream-inspired combination of fudge and sunflower seeds to subscribers either weekly or biweekly. The subscription also fits nicely into a student budget at only $11.99 for the box of 8 snacks.

Treatise is a good option for students with a sweet tooth. Every month, Treatise sends a wide selection of treats from gourmet bakeries and chocolatiers from all over the United States. The subscription costs $19.95 per box. A sample Treatise box contains various flavors of caramels from Dallas Caramel Co., biscotti from Biscuit Gourmet in San Diego and almond butter cups from New York City’s own Buddha Chocolate.

LS freshman Juhi Dalal thinks getting a box every month would add some spice to her college diet. “A subscription box is a good way to experience new foods without leaving the house,” Dalal said. “It would be a great bonding experience to try new foods with friends.”

New York-based company Try the World offers one of the more popular subscription boxes. For only $39 a box, subscribers will receive a box full of ingredients every other month, each time from a different country. The box also includes a guide to the featured nation’s food culture as well as booklet of recipes that can be made with the box’s ingredients.

Tisch freshman Taylor Friel shares a Try the World subscription with her mother, with their recent box featuring Japanese ingredients. Inside were stove top dinners, milk caramels, soba noodles, two different sauces to cook with, matcha tea, gummy candies and dried seaweed snacks.

Friel said that the service might not be practical for students who live in dorms without kitchens.

“You definitely get a good deal with it, but for a college student I think there are some better options out there,” Friel said.

But for Friel, Try The World and the subscription model in general works perfectly.

“It is very exciting because it is a bunch of foods that you can’t get just walking down to Sidestein,” she said. “If you’re into cooking I absolutely recommend it. It’s very culturally enlightening and a lot of the stuff is really yummy and broadens your palette.“

Email Taylor Nicole Rogers at [email protected].