No. 1 ranked women’s basketball stays undefeated, track and field hosts meet and other news

Here’s what you need to know from the past week in NYU Athletics. This week: Jan. 29 – Feb. 4.
Alisia Houghtaling
(Illustration by Alisia Houghtaling)

Basketball

NYU women’s basketball continued to excel this week, extending its win streak to 20 wins in a row. On the road this weekend, the Violets beat the University of Rochester 95-53 on Friday, Feb. 2, and recorded a dominant 82-46 victory over Emory University on Sunday, Feb. 4.

Meanwhile, the men’s basketball team improved its record to 17-3 with two tight victories — an 81-76 win against the University of Rochester on Friday, Feb. 2 and an 81-78 win over Emory University on Sunday, Feb. 4, featuring a 10-point comeback in the final four minutes of play.

Both teams return home to the Paulson Center to face Case Western Reserve University on Friday, Feb. 9. The women’s game is at 5:30 p.m. and the men’s game is at 7:30 p.m.

On Feb. 11, the teams will play Carnegie Mellon University for NYU’s yearly senior day at the Paulson Center. The men’s team plays at noon, and the women’s team plays at 2 p.m.

Track and field

Both NYU’s men’s and women’s track and field teams hosted the New York City Division Ⅲ Invitational on Feb. 2 at The Armory in Manhattan.

Areyanna McCarthy was one of the Violet’s gold medal winners of the weekend, placing first in the women’s triple jump with a distance of 10.95 meters, but there was no shortage of impressive performances.

Beverly Okyere placed seventh in the 200m dash with a time of 26.89 seconds, and Caroline Mackinnon placed fourth in the 800m run with a time of 2:21.83. 

In the one mile, the Violets took second and third place as Dominga Rivera and Janie Cooper ran 5:02.92 and 5:03.73 respectively. Daniella Sekhar also ran a 10:27.50 to place third in the 3000m run.

The men’s distance team ran away with the most impressive finishes as Alex Hrycyszyn placed eighth in the one-mile run with a time of 4:20.45. 

In the 3000 meter, the Violets had an even better performance, with George Brady running an 8:37.94 for second and Andy Taylor running an 8:39.74 for fourth.

The track and field teams will compete in their next meet, the Big Apple Invitational on Feb. 10. Following that, they will compete at the UAA Indoor Championships, on Feb. 24-25 at The Armory in Washington Heights.

Wrestling

NYU’s 15th-ranked men’s wrestling team hosted senior day at the Paulson Center on Saturday, Feb. 3. The Violets celebrated seniors Anthony Asatrian, Anthony Chavez and Hassan Khan. 

The Violets beat Bridgewater State University 58-0, but lost against the United States Coast Guard Academy 10-30. The team is now 10-2, with its next meet on Feb. 10 against Stevens Institute of Technology. 

Men’s volleyball

Men’s volleyball improved its record to 4-2 after a disappointing start to the season. 

The Violets had a perfect week, with victories against Hunter College on Feb. 1 and St. Joseph’s University Long Island on Feb. 3 both finished with an impressive 3-0.

Junior Luke Boyer recorded 21 kills over the two games, adding to his team-leading record of 62. Rookie Devyn Nguyen continues his hot-streak, assisting teammates 73 times over the weekend.

The Violets’ next game will take place on Feb. 7 at home against Springfield College.

Contact Avery Hendrick at [email protected].