Administrator punched near Washington Square Park

An unidentified individual punched an NYU administrator on the right side of her face Wednesday morning, following previous attacks on women in lower Manhattan.
The Department of Campus Safety sent out an alert regarding the assault on Wednesday evening.

An NYU administrator was punched in the face by an unidentified individual near Washington Square Park on Wednesday morning, according to a Department of Campus Safety alert sent out earlier this afternoon. The administrator has filed a report with the New York City Police Department, which is investigating the incident as a hate crime.

The incident follows a string of unprovoked assaults on women in lower Manhattan, with many having shared stories online of being “struck in the face or the head.” Campus Safety said the assault might be related to the previous attacks. 

The assault occurred at approximately 10:36 a.m., when the administrator was walking on Washington Square North and the perpetrator “walked up to them and punched the right side of their face without any provocation or words being exchanged.” 

The administrator, who is a 27-year-old woman, suffered swelling and bruising from the punch, an NYPD spokesperson told WSN. The spokesperson said that after the assault occurred, emergency medical services treated her on the scene, but she refused to go to the hospital. 

Campus Safety described the suspect as male with a dark complexion and around 5 feet, seven inches tall, wearing a gray sweatshirt with the hood over his head, sweatpants and black sneakers.

Contact Adrianna Nehme, Bruna Horvath and Maisie Zipfel at [email protected].

Adrianna Nehme
Adrianna Nehme, News Editor
Adrianna Nehme is a sophomore still trying to decide what to major in. Originally from a small town in Indiana, she moved to Chicago, Illinois for high school — where she was also the news editor for the school paper! She loves experiencing music live at concerts, seeking restaurants to try in the city and reading fiction novels — her all-time favorite is "The Cider House Rules" by John Irving. Check out her latest adventures on Instagram @adrianna.nehme.
Bruna Horvath
Bruna Horvath, News Editor
Bruna Horvath is a sophomore studying journalism and English at CAS. When she’s not a News Editor, she’s a "Gone Girl" enthusiast, a Goodreads lover, and a Barnes & Noble frequenter. You can usually find her ordering an iced mocha, telling people her name is “Bruna” not “Bruno,” or on Instagram @brunaahorvath.
Maisie Zipfel
Maisie Zipfel, Deputy News Editor
Maisie Zipfel is a first-year double majoring in Journalism and Politics, and double minoring in Gender and Sexuality Studies and Spanish. She is a Yerba Mate enthusiast, a Taylor Swift fanatic and an anti-Greek Life turned sorority girl (Deeph or Die). When she’s not writing in the WSN basement you can find her isolated in Palladium for NYU’s Competitive Dance Team practice, obsessing over her Four-Year Plan or trying to weave in time to take a nap. You can reach her on instagram @maisiezipfel, on LinkedIn (her favorite social media platform) @MaeZipfel or preferably on Venmo @mkzipfel.

• B

Bob KatzApr 18, 2024 at 2:06 pm

This is terrible and I hope the administrator is doing well. The problem is the penalties for these people are basically non existent. They go in one door and out the other and have a rap sheet and who knows what they have not been caught doing. If this person is caught sentence him to 25 years in jail no questions ask. Hopefully when these people learn about the severity of these sentences this could be a deterrent in committing this type of crime.