What to do this week: A Union Square market, Hispanic Heritage Month and more

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City. This week: Sept. 25-Oct. 1.

Maisie Zipfel, Deputy News Editor

Monday

Take a stroll through Union Square Park and explore over 100 local vendors at the recurring Greenmarket. The market showcases regional farmers, fishers and bakers and also hosts community events and activities at the park every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Get ready for a full day of shopping!

6:30 p.m.

Discover what Italian culture and hip-hop have in common at “Made with Italy, American Hip-Hop Culture 1973-1996.” The lecture, led by researcher and hip-hop performer Giuseppe Gatti, will explore the influence of Italian style on American hip-hop and other performing arts, including dance, fashion and film. Gatti will discuss the relationship between Italian culture and art on the American youth from the early ’70s to the late ’90s. This event is free and open to the public, but registration is required to attend.

Tuesday

4:30 p.m.

Join author and NYU professor Deborah Williams as she talks about how young adult books can help solve real-world problems. The panelists, including NYU Abu Dhabi alumni Nur’aishah Shafiq and Zoe Patterson, will discuss the importance of adults engaging with young adult fiction books and provide their own recommendations. This free event is open to the NYU community.

Try your hand at beach volleyball

41-20 39th St., Queens

6 p.m.

Tired of fighting for a treadmill at Palladium Athletic Facility? Indoor beach volleyball is the perfect way to stay active and pick up a new hobby along the way. Reserve a spot to take this adult class and head over to Queens. Groups will be divided by knowledge and skill, so don’t worry if you’re a beginner! This class is free and open to the public.

Wednesday

Draw real-life figures in a mansion

15 Gramercy Park South

6:30 p.m.

Break out your pencils and pastels, and make your way to the Gramercy Park mansion to practice figure drawing. At this uninstructed session, attendees will have the chance to draw short poses of figures to warm up their skills, and then will move on to longer poses — with the final pose being 40 minutes long. This event is open to the public, and tickets start at $25.

Watch professional BalletX performers dance company co-founder Matthew Neenan’s choreography, as well as the New York premieres of Jamar Roberts’ “Honey” and Jennifer Archibald’s “Exalt.” The group of contemporary ballet dancers from Philadelphia is considered “among America’s Best” and the “epicenter of creation” by critics. Tickets start at $10, and showings will continue until Oct. 1.

Thursday

6:30 p.m.

If you’re a lover of food and fashion, the discussion, “Moda Menu: The Longtime Affair of Food & Fashion” is for you. The event is hosted by NYU’s Casa Italiana, with conversation led by Museum-Fashion Institute of Technology curators Melissa Marra-Alvarez and Elizabeth Way, as well as Italian Vogue special project editor Grazia d’Annunzio. Register in advance for this free, livestreamed event to secure your spot.

A lecture series for video game junkies

NYU Game Center, 370 Jay St., Brooklyn

7 p.m.

NYU’s Game Center lecture series of the semester will feature award-nominated professor and alum Lawra Suits Clark. The talk, which is the first in the series, will focus on art in contemporary video games in addition to Clark’s own career and personal history in the field. While the event is free and open to the public, advance registration is required.

Friday

Join NYU’s Cuban American Student Association in celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month with a trip to El Museo del Barrio. This museum features artwork from Hispanic artists all over the world. This event is free and open to the NYU community. Make sure to register in advance.

An indie film festival

22 E. 12th St.

7 p.m.

Enjoy a handful of independent short films for free at this weeklong event. A portion of the festival will be designated for attendees to ask the filmmakers questions, and attendees will have the chance to participate in classes to learn more about the filmmaking process. Filmmakers will also be pitching prospective projects, and audience members will be able to vote on their favorite ones. This seven-day-long event is open to the public.

Saturday

Noon

Get ready for this year’s New York Comic Con by cosplaying as your favorite comic book characters and superheroes. The Cosplay Hackathon, organized by NYU’s Student Technology Center, will help attendees create their costumes, finish up their designs or come up with new ideas before the highly-anticipated fan convention. This event will run from Saturday to Sunday, so you’ll have plenty of opportunities to stop by.

A poetic evening at the High Line

30th St. and 10th Ave.

3 p.m.

Listen to live poetry at “Trees, Blood, and Circulatory Systems: A Poetry Reading by Old Tree,” at High Line Park’s “Old Tree” sculpture. This reading will be split into two 45-minute sessions, the first, “The Body and Its Connections” and the second, “Nature, Trees, and Their Spiritual History.” The poetry featured focuses on the relationship between humans and the environment. This event is free and open to the public.

Sunday

If you are new to New York, there’s no better way to get familiar with your surroundings than to go on a walking tour. This tour, hosted by The Speakers Storytelling Club, will immerse you in the culture of New York City and finally get you out of your dorm for a bit. Explore locations including the National Museum of Indigenous People, Chinatown and SoHo. Tickets are free but you must reserve your spot online ahead of time to attend.

Dive into The Metropolitan Museum of Art exhibit “Tree & Serpent: Early Buddhist Art in India, 200 BCE-400 CE,” with guidance by scholars from around the world. This event will take place over two days, with the first session focusing on the “Origins of Buddhist Art in India,” and the second focusing on the “Southern Buddhism of Āndhradeśa.” This event is free with museum admission, and will also be available online without any prior registration necessary.