NYU Bookstore to Reduce Hours of Operation

Starting next Saturday, the bookstore will close on Sundays, and offer reduced hours during the week for economic reasons.
Julia McNeill
The inside of the NYU Bookstore. (Staff Photo by Julia McNeill)

The NYU Bookstore will reduce its hours of operation as of Saturday, Oct. 19 due to the “economics of brick-and-mortar bookstore operation,” according to an NYU press release.

Follett, the company that owns the bookstore, informed NYU on Wednesday that part-time staff would be reduced, in addition to the hours. On weekdays, it will close two hours earlier (9 a.m. – 6 p.m.) and on Saturday it will open one hour later and close one hour earlier (11 a.m. – 5 p.m.). The store will now be closed on Sundays.

About 50% of part-time workers’ positions — many of which are filled by undergraduate students — will be eliminated. Those affected will be offered another position on campus with the same pay, according to the press release.

Graduate student workers will maintain their position at the store, and no full-time staff members will be laid off.

Follet has operated the NYU Bookstore since August 2017 when the university selected the company because of its ability to offer lower textbook prices.

Email Ronni at [email protected].