Honey Balsamic Brussels Sprouts You Can Make in Your Dorm

Eating your greens never sounded so tempting.
Freshly baked basalmic-and-honey-glazed brussels sprouts emerge from the oven. Staff writer Celina Khorma shares this delicious and nostalgic childhood recipe. (Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Thinking back to my childhood, Brussels sprouts were the bane of my existence come dinnertime. Now, I don’t even know that girl because a craving for these greens hits on an almost daily basis. Does this mean I’m an official adult now? Perhaps. Whether in a bowl, salad or straight up by themselves as a healthy snack, Brussels sprouts hit the spot. 

But of course, not just any Brussels sprouts recipe will do the trick. They’ve gotta be crispy, perfectly oven-roasted and coated in a somewhat-sweet sauce that complements their earthy flavor. Lo and behold, this balsamic-glazed recipe fits the bill. The best part is that it’s super quick, requires minimal equipment and can be done in your dorm. Pair it with a protein like chicken, salmon or roasted chickpeas and add in some brown rice to the mix for extra wholesomeness — you’re a health god. 

These greens can take on so much flavor, so feel free to experiment with your own spice mixes; curry powder, paprika, and cinnamon pair great with Brussels sprouts, as do other herbs like rosemary, sage and thyme.

Ingredients:

1 pound Brussels sprouts

2 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon honey

Salt to taste

Pepper to taste

Parmesan cheese (optional)

Before you begin handling the food, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Next, trim the excess leaves off of the exterior of your Brussels sprouts and cut each one in half.

Celina pours 1 tablespoon of honey to coat her brussels sprouts. (Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Now that your oven is preheating and your greens are prepared, mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey in a bowl. Add your Brussels sprouts to the mixture and use your hands to make sure they get coated thoroughly.

The brussels sprouts have been thoroughly mixed with the glaze, to ensure an even coating. (Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the Brussels sprouts atop of it. Sprinkle your desired amount of salt and pepper over the Brussels sprouts before placing the baking sheet into the oven.

The balsamic and honey glazed brussels sprouts are now oven-ready. (Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Let the Brussels sprouts bake from about 20-30 minutes or until they are your desired texture. The longer they remain in the oven, the crispier they become.

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.

Email Celina Khorma at [email protected].