Destress Without Destroying Your Budget

Relaxation doesn’t have to be a luxury.
Haven+Spa%2C+located+at+250+Mercer+Street%2C+is+one+of+the+best+places+to+get+massages+around+NYU+campus.+%28Staff+Photo+by+Jorene+He%29+
Jorene He
Haven Spa, located at 250 Mercer Street, is one of the best places to get massages around NYU campus. (Staff Photo by Jorene He)

With finals season around the corner, all of us could use a bit of stress-busting. You’re bound to be exhausted in both body and mind after all those hours of late-night cramming at your desk. What better way to treat yourself and release some tension than a massage? Check out these massage spots on or around campus.

NYU Stressbusters $

60 Washington Square South

If you’re looking for convenience and affordability, look no further than directly on campus. NYU’s weekly Stressbusting events include free short massages. CAS senior Heli Majeethia has taken advantage of the service and appreciated the experience.

“I tried it out my freshman year and it was a decent, normal massage,” Majeethia said.

“It was actually pretty nice for a free 15-minute massage and I’d recommend it if you have the time.”

The events are usually held in Bobst Library or the Kimmel Center for University Life, so it couldn’t hurt to pop in during a study break.

Haven $$

250 Mercer St.

Haven, conveniently located on Mercer Street, is the perfect escape from a stress-filled day at Bobst. Generally, the spa’s rates aren’t very expensive, and what’s unique to Haven is its Mini Escape menu. Among other treatments, the spa offers body scrubs and massages for $65 and has a bundle package that gives you a good deal on all five Mini Escape treatments. CAS sophomore Sehejneet Sethi is a regular customer.

“It’s good for a once-in-a-semester self-care treat,” Sethi said. “It’s not that expensive and using the packages really helps too. Plus it’s right on campus.”

ZZ Massages $$$

5 W. 35th St.

If you and a friend — or perhaps a special someone — could use a relaxing day of pampering, ZZ Massages in Koreatown is the place for you. It may look pricey at first glance, but according to SPS sophomore Melvin Nguyen, booking a couples massage is quite economical.

“The couples deal on Groupon was a great deal, especially for college students,” he said. “The place was really packed and the deep tissue massage was amazing. They really did your entire body from head to toe.”

Nguyen and his friend were so impressed with both the service and the price, which totaled $89, that they booked another one for pre-finals season.

Email Ria Mittal at [email protected].