Blocking Your Ex: Petty Move or Power Move?

After a breakup, some NYU students find it easier to block their past flings on social media to help ease the post-breakup process. (Screenshot via Instagram)

Social media has managed to finagle its way into almost every part of our lives — business, travel, art, dating and, of course, heartbreak. When it comes to love and breakups, one social media power move that everyone has been involved with, in one way or another, is blocking.

Though blocking exes has become easier than ever, it’s not without critics. Among the many anti-blockers, many are against it because they find it petty and prideful. Others feel it devalues the ex-relationship and is too final.

“I wouldn’t do it because, even if I fall out with someone, there was still value to what was, and blocking someone leaves no path of making up later,” CAS junior Anshuman Sinha said.  

It’s not all bad, though, and blocking one’s ex can play a beneficial role in the way some people process their breakups. This was personal for Rachel, a Steinhardt senior, who’s blocked exes before, particularly after leaving an abusive relationship. (Rachel opted to only provide her first name.)

“I think blocking an ex can serve multiple purposes,” she said. “It can be good to just get a break from being digitally oversaturated with someone that doesn’t bring you joy anymore, but also as a safety measure.”

Rachel also commented on blocking culture in general.

“We should have agency over our own digital landscapes, and if that means not seeing things that are actively harmful, then blocking isn’t necessarily a bad thing,” she said.

All in all, the decision to or not to block an ex doesn’t have to be about pride or trying to look unfazed. It can be about what you deem best for your own heartbreak-healing process.

This debate rages on among professionals and experts on the matter as well. Many experts recommend a clean break — to try not to maintain any kind of relationship with the person due to the high correlations between romantic love, addiction and addictive behavior. Should an alcoholic keep bottles of whiskey around the house? No, and that same logic should be applied with people trying to keep their exes around, right?

Not entirely, since it’s such a subjective topic. Francesco Ferrari, a clinical assistant professor in the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Studies department, teaches the extremely popular and relevant course “Love Actually.” He believes the necessity of blocking an ex varies from case to case.

“It’s different for everyone — some people are able to navigate breakups in such a way that they still lead healthy, happy lives as friends afterwards, some are not,” Ferrari said. “The first step is knowing yourself, knowing what’s good and healthy for you, knowing your own patterns and habits — are you a jealous kind of person or not? Are you the kind of person who spends a lot of time [on] social media? If yes, then maybe limiting yourself from the ex is a good thing and blocking them could be the way to do it.”

Blocking can definitely be exacerbated by personal pride or the outsized role social media plays in our emotional lives. That said, it can also be a healthy way to deal with a breakup for certain people in certain situations. Why and how you go about it is very important. Heartbreak is hard enough without worrying about how big or small blocking your ex makes you seem — both choices are equally valid.

Email Ria Mittal at [email protected]

13 COMMENTS

1. Hello,,
    Thank you very much priest of love priest for helping me anyway, told me he was no longer interested in marriage, I couldn’t say what leads to this cause, we never had a real fight that could lead to such a decision. I was much worse than I could not continue. One afternoon, I was at home talking online with a close friend, reading an article, and seeing a comment about a married woman. It really struck me because I never thought it was possible, I thought and tried. so I did whatever he asked me and after the last seven days my husband came and asked me to forgive him that he wanted us to meet and that he now has more than five years. now we are a happy family. I am really grateful for this help for what it is for me, I mean her kindness. {Whatsapp {{17692085860}}}}}}}} :: :: {{lovetemple0001}} {{@} {{gmail}}. {{Com}}

2. My situation was hopeless me and my husband was on the verge of divorce. I was in an awful state and felt that I was not able to cope with life any longer. I found  www. lovespell solutiontemple. wordpress. com  and tried one of the reuniting love spell.  he did return and now we are doing well again, more than ever i so much believe in him email to contact him directly is   24hrslovespell @ gmail. com

3. Solution to your lost love – If you have, problems like separation with your partner a divorce, remarriage, etc then you don’t have to lose hope over what has happened we can help you get back your lost love…Steven can solve all the problem TEXT OR CALL NOW Email him also on [email protected] Com/ call or WhatsApp +2348162167254

4. My husband packed out of the house to live with another lady who he met at the supermarket and went in a relationship with her. He sent me divorce papers. I did not accept the divorce because I love him very much. I don’t want my family to break apart. I suspected the lady use a spell to tie my husband so he cannot return to his family. I was searching for tips on how i can save my marriage from divorce. I came across a comment which says [[email protected] com]

5. this spell caster Priest manuka has helped me a lot. if you need help then go to [[email protected] com] he can help out. I broke up with my boyfriend and tried many ways to resolve the issue for 6 months before meeting priest manuka and he was able to get him back to me even though he already had another girlfriend, priest manuka spells broke them up and got him back for me, I highly recommend him and his service. thank you so much Priest i appreciate you and you are truly blessed.

6. I promise Dr Kala that am going to share my testimony all over the world if he could get my husband back to me and he truly proven to me that he is the man for the job by getting my husband back to me after breakup and that’s why am sharing this wonderful testimony for others to see and also get help from Dr Kala and save your marriage or relationship. My husband left me a month ago and he was leaving with another woman who is 10 years older than him,i feel like my life is completely over. I read over the internet how a spell caster have help several people to get there love back. I have been depressed for the past one month and what i need is to get my husband back and live with me so i decided to give it a try so i contacted the spell caster called Dr Kala and explain my problems to him and he help me to get my husband back with his great spell and now my life is complete and i am truly grateful to Dr Kala. You can  contact him on email: kalalovespell @gmail. com or WhatsApp 2347051705853. Thank you very much Dr Kala and i am extremely grateful for what you did for me. 

7. Save Your Relationship and Get Your Ex Boyfriend/Girlfriend Back!contact:__________________________ [email protected] com,, is certainly the best spell caster online and his result is 100% guarantee. He restored my broken relationship just in 48 hours..((((( ^^^^>>>>

8. I want to use this opportunity to thank this great man called Dr. Ehi Care for what he has done for me and my family. This great man has brought happiness and joy back again to me and my family. Dr. Ehi Care has used his great power to help me bring back my husband within the period of 48 hours and also helped me in getting pregnant with his powerful prayers and after 7 days of applying his herbs.This is more than words can say, at first i didn’t believe it but today it is so true and all thanks goes to him. i will advice every one out there that has a similar issue, and also any one who is willing to get his or her lover back and any one who wants to get pregnant quick to contact this wonderful man today and forever remain happy in life. email: [email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/Drehicareherbalhome  

9. Does it seems like your relationship as ended or about to end? Lord Zakuza is here to help out with his love spells. To get your ex bf/gf back, email Lord Zakuza on Lordzakuza7 @ gmail. com for he’s a GOD on earth.

10. My husband and I have been married for over 10 years. We met when I was 18 and he was 21. We’ve been through a lot emotionally together. There were several HUGE fights and painful situations in our marriage, but we always seemed to come out stronger on the other side. Out of the blue my husband just sprung the divorce talk on me, I was totally depressed until I found Dr. Todd website online and I ordered for a Love spell. You won’t believe my husband called me at the exact time this spell caster finished his spell work in 48hrs. I was totally amazed! He is wonderful and his spells work so fast. His Email: manifest spell [email protected] g mail. com

11. It breaks my heart to know that people are hurting so badly that they are desperate to get their love lives back. For anyone hurting right now, I want you to worry no more for your Ex lover/partner will come back to you so you can feel whole again and I truly mean that. Get in touch with Lord Zakuza now for he’s a God on earth that can get your EX lover back within 48 hours with his powerful spell. Email Lord Zakuza on Lordzakuza7 @gmail. com

12. My name is rose viabushes🌹, I am from USA, United States of America.
    My first time of meeting with medical healthcare and bringing EX back, I have to say this in the internet, i really worth it. It had been 6 months since my husband dump me and left me with another woman without saying anything.All thanks to Dr. Onobun Gabriel that was able to bring my husband back to me in 20hrs time because I was able to connect with my husband again with Dr. Onobun Gabriel powerful geunion Love Spell, and now my husband loves me more than he used to do then, I eternally grateful to The Great Dr. Onobun Gabriel for his good work he has done for me. I highly recommend Dr Onobun Gabriel genunity. You can contact him at [email protected] for help.

13. My name is Angela, I live in UK..I am here to say a big thank you to Dr Offa for helping me and making me smile again, after reading a lot of testimonies about him i wrote him and told him to help me restore my marriage as my home have been scattered for 2yrs now, He replied my email and told me to send my pic and my husband pic and some other things, which i did and he said he will be done in 48hrs, with hope i slept and on the 3rd day my husband called me and asked if i could pack my things to his place and forgive him, i was shocked and this is how Dr Offa helped me in restoring my home Contact him:[email protected] , If he did mine he will do yours