The Only Way You Should Be Eating Thanksgiving Leftovers

Now you know what to do with the tupperwares of leftover food your parents sent you back to school with.
A Thanksgiving leftover feast.

Thanksgiving is over, meaning the best part of the holiday season is upon us: leftovers. Obviously, there are the classic pot pies, soups and of course the iconic the turkey sandwich on a dinner roll, but here are two dorm-friendly recipes that you’ve never even dreamed of.

Thanksgiving Croquettes
Ingredients:

• Mashed potatoes
  • Stuffing
  • ½ onion
  • 3 Tablespoons Breadcrumbs
  • Oil
  • 1 egg

Start by mincing half an onion and put it on a pan over low heat. While the onions cook, beat an egg and fill a different bowl with three tablespoons of breadcrumbs. When the onions have softened and lightly caramelized, which should take around 10 minutes, put the onions in a mixing bowl with half a cup each stuffing and mashed potatoes. Mix together until fully combined, then roll into balls — you should have enough for about eight balls. With the balls formed, dredge them through the beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs. Place the balls in the fridge to firm up then fill a frying pan with half an inch of oil and heat on medium. When the oil is hot enough that breadcrumbs dropped into it will sizzle immediately but not so hot that is smoking, carefully place the balls in the oil fry for one minute per side until each is evenly brown and crisp, remove from oil and place on a paper towel to soak up any extra oil. These are amazing as a side or just by themselves with some cranberry sauce for dipping.

Brussel Sprout Slaw
Ingredients:

• 20 sprouts
  • 1 Carrot
  • ½ onion
  • Oil
  • Vinegar
  • Mayo
  • Sugar
  • Mustard

Start by cutting the sprouts in half lengthwise and soak in cold water and three tablespoons of vinegar — this is going to help cut some of the really cabbagey bitterness sprouts can have. While your sprouts soak, finely dice an onion and put in a pan with some oil on a low heat to caramelize. Peel and grate your carrot and put it in your serving dish. Then mix together one teaspoon sugar, one tablespoon vinegar, two tablespoons oil, one teaspoon of mayo, one tablespoon of mustard and salt and pepper. With the onions, carrots and dressing done, it’s time to head back to the sprouts. Remove the sprouts from the water and finely slice before adding to the bowl and mixing everything together. Leave in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before serving — and being surprised that you made something actually nice out of sprouts.

Email Andrew Ankersen at [email protected]