10 Sandwiches That Prove Breakfast Is the Most Important Meal of the Day

Are you ready to get cracking for an eggcellent day?
An egg sandwich is a popular choice for breakfast. (Photo by Alina Patrick)

While the best part of waking up may not be Folgers in your cup, breakfast certainly takes that prize. Sometimes a good egg sandwich is all you need to get cracking at the day ahead. All yolks aside, here are 10 mouthwatering breakfast sandwiches to start your day off right.

Tompkins Square Bagels

184 Second Ave., New York, NY 10003

With over 20 types to choose from, the sandwiches at Tompkins Square Bagels lack neither variety nor flavor. But one combination in particular stands above the rest: The Weezer. Generously filled, this enormous bagel consists of bacon, chorizo, egg and cream cheese of your choosing — though cucumber dill is recommended. If you want something more sugary to satisfy your sweet tooth and are willing to take a risk, try out their delicious french toast bagel that pairs surprisingly well with their unique birthday cake or chocolate cookie dough cream cheese.

La Maison Du Croque Monsieur

17 E. 13th St., New York, NY 10003

Located near Union Square, this quaint and cozy French restaurant offers tasty sandwiches at affordable prices. For less than $5, the Bacon Croque is simple, yet delicious. As evidenced by its name, the sandwich consists of eggs, bacon and New York cheddar with bread delicately toasted to a golden brown on either side. These sandwiches are the perfect size if you are looking for a quick bite to eat and just need something light to fulfill your breakfast sandwich cravings.

Estela

47 E. Houston St., New York, NY 10012

For those looking for a chic breakfast sandwich experience, the egg, pancetta and avocado sandwich offered at Estela is worth trying. The egg is slightly runny in the middle, giving the sandwich the perfect textural balance between soft and crunchy, with a toasted tebirke — a Danish poppy seed-crusted pastry roll — on the outside. Though on the more expensive side, if you are willing to splurge, give this sandwich a try and you won’t be disappointed.

Sunny & Annie’s Deli

94 Avenue B, New York, NY 10009.

A delicious secret hides behind the unassuming facade of this family-owned deli; freshly made sandwiches with imaginative combinations and high-quality ingredients. They offer quirky options, like pho sandwiches, that are all refreshingly original. However, they also offer equally appetizing classics, like the Two Eggs sandwich, which comes with two fluffy eggs, your choice of meat — bacon, ham or sausage — and cheese on a warm roll or a bagel.

Bite

333 Lafayette St., New York, NY 10012

The Organic Egg Sandwich offered at Bite is a twist on the classic bacon egg and cheese with Mediterranean influences. It consists of a fried egg, special hot sauce and plum tomatoes on a soft brioche bun from Balthazar. Some organic cheese and ham can be added for only an extra 50 cents. They have many vegetarian and vegan options and they use organic, fresh ingredients; true to their slogan, they have “something for everyone.”

Sadelle’s

463 W. Broadway, New York, NY 10012

One can never go wrong with a classic bacon, egg and cheese. At Sadelle's, the Classic Egg Sandwich is buttery, smokey and soft but also crisp — everything one could ask from a breakfast sandwich. It’s made with two runny, fried eggs, savory bacon and Muenster on crisp challah bread. This is one of the more expensive options on this list, but also one of the most worthwhile.

Amy’s Bread

250 Bleecker St., New York, NY 10014

Although better known for their baked goods, Amy’s Bread has a Bacon, Egg and Cheese on a Soft Roll on their menu that is sure to make your mouth water. Simple in its presentation, it is made with New York cheddar and local bacon wedged between housemade challah bread. After you finish eating, try one of their freshly made sticky buns or croissants as a convenient snack on the go.

Court Street Grocers

540 LaGuardia Pl., New York, NY 10012

Groceries aren’t the items for sale at Court Street Grocers; they offer a large selection of grab-and-go sandwiches of which the Breakfast Sandwich has established itself as one of the best. The eggs are lightly scrambled, the cheddar cheese is beautifully melted and the arugula adds a tang of freshness. Finally, to top it off, a crunchy ciabatta roll from Balthazar.

Miscelanea

63 E. Fourth St., New York, NY 10003

Nothing starts a day off better than a “Huevo Con Chorizo Torta” from Miscelanea to bring your taste buds to life. This sandwich is packed with flavor: scrambled eggs, Mexican chorizo, beans, lettuce and crema fresca. Delicious and flavorful, this hidden gem is not to be looked over. It even comes with a side of chips, pickled carrots and peppers.

Egg Shop

151 Elizabeth St, New York, NY 10012

As you can probably tell from its name, the Egg Shop is all about eggs. All of their egg sandwiches are unparalleled, but one in particular rises above the rest: the Pepper Boy Sandwich. Its ingredients combine to create a uniquely piquant experience: scrambled eggs, gruyere, bell pepper, maple-cured pepper bacon, caramelized onion aioli on your choice of a bell pepper or panini roll. Though it’s a bit of a trek from NYU, the walk is well worth it for a taste of one of the most delicious egg sandwiches the city has to offer.

Tompkins Square Bagels

184 Second Ave., New York, NY 10003

La Maison Du Croque Monsieur

17 E. 13th St., New York, NY 10003

Estela

47 E. Houston St., New York, NY 10012

Sunny & Annie’s Deli

94 Avenue B, New York, NY 10009

Bite

333 Lafayette St., New York, NY 10012

Sadelle’s

463 W. Broadway, New York, NY 10012

One can never go wrong with a classic bacon, egg and cheese. At Sadelle’s, the Classic Egg Sandwich is buttery, smokey and soft but also crisp — everything one could ask from a breakfast sandwich. It’s made with two runny, fried eggs, savory bacon and Muenster on crisp challah bread. This is one of the more expensive options on this list, but also one of the most worthwhile.

Amy’s Bread

250 Bleecker St., New York, NY 10014

Court Street Grocers

540 LaGuardia Pl., New York, NY 10012

Miscelanea

63 E. Fourth St., New York, NY 10003

Egg Shop

151 Elizabeth St., New York, NY 10012

Email Arin Garland at [email protected].