Why Students Love These Indie Film Studios

via youtube.com

Daniel Kaluuya in the Blumhouse-produced “Get Out.”

Taylor Stout, Staff Writer

Our student body has a reputation for being artistic, creative and independent. This may draw some mockery — we are inauthentic hipsters, excessively liberal or the oh-so classic line, “Wait, what’s Gallatin?” But going to school in a cinematic epicenter like New York City exposes us to the art form in a way that many others schools do not. It is a privilege to be so close to renowned independent theaters such as the Angelika Film Center, the IFC Center and the Film Forum, as well as noteworthy festivals like Tribeca Film Festival and New York Film Festival. The city brings us face-to-face with cutting-edge resources to refine and enhance our experience with film.

Suffice to say, when it comes to movies, NYU students have plenty of firsthand experience with experimental and alternative cinema.

Considering this, it’s no surprise that among the student body’s favorite indie studios are A24 and Blumhouse Productions. Try walking through Washington Square Park, sitting in class or eating in a dining hall without hearing mentions of A24 and Blumhouse features such as “Moonlight,” “Lady Bird,” “Get Out,” “Hereditary” or “BlacKkKlansman” mentioned in conversation. These studios are producing daring and innovative films, and NYU students are eating them up (while they munch on their Palladium sushi).

A24 has been on a winning streak since the release of one of its first films, “Spring Breakers,” in 2013. Oscar contenders like “Moonlight” and “Lady Bird” have carved out a niche for A24 in the mainstream film market. While its releases vary from terrifying horrors to heartwarming coming-of-age comedies, all A24 films possess a certain artistic inclination that makes them stand out. However, with recent releases “Get Out” and “BlacKkKlansman,” Blumhouse is presenting innovative films that seem to strike a slightly different chord. Though Blumhouse made a start in franchise horror films like “Paranormal Activity” and “The Purge,” it has also started to dish out gritty features, tackling race and prejudice that have become inseparable from the public consciousness. While these new releases may have some frightening plot lines, they focus more on larger concepts and individual characters than inciting fear. “Get Out” even earned writer and director Jordan Peele an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay this year.

What makes these studios so popular among college students? And how are they changing the film world as we know it?

SPS senior Katie Truong, is the pre-release chair of NYU Program Board and the student ambassador for A24 at NYU. She has been setting up screenings for the NYU student body since her sophomore year, and noticed that screenings of A24 films at NYU brought in a lot of traction. “[The Moonlight screening] almost created a fire hazard in [the Global Center for Academic and Spiritual Life.”

Truong believes that the reason NYU students love this content is because these two studios visualize hot topics of social justice in an era when social responsibility and entertainment — for better or worse — are inexorably tied. A24 and Blumhouse have both shown they are willing to stray from conventional Hollywood portrayals of important subjects and tackle issues with a modern social conscious as well as fresh cinematic techniques.

“A24 is disruptive in its own way where [it wants] to push forward diverse new films,” Truong said. “NYU students want to see new, exciting things, different from other film companies.”

But what exactly makes these films so different? Truong observes that, while there has been a lot of excitement surrounding superhero movies this year, these films all follow relatively similar plots and conventions.

“[A24] doesn’t follow a particular mold or formula to make a movie,” she said. “[It] produces movies that allow the directors to have their say.”

With films from noteworthy directors such as Alex Garland, Barry Jenkins, Paul Schrader and Greta Gerwig, it is no surprise that A24’s releases are stunningly crafted and unique. Similarly, Blumhouse has long been known as being a filmmaker-driven studio because of its low-budget movie model. Jason Blum, founder and CEO, has spoken about how maintaining a low budget allows a director like Jordan Peele or James Wan to “do what he does, fast, and [lets] him focus on making the movie he wants to make.”

These studios are pushing the envelope and releasing films that fall outside of Hollywood conventions. Despite their relatively young age, A24 and Blumhouse have established a major presence in the industry. Both have some exciting films on their roster in the coming year such as Jonah Hill’s “Mid90s” (A24) and Jordan Peele’s “Us” (Blumhouse). While there is still a substantial desire for superhero blockbusters like “Black Panther,” A24 and Blumhouse are bringing groundbreaking independent films into the spotlight and appealing to a taste that is all at once niche, yet mainstream.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Sept. 24 print edition. Email Taylor Stout at [email protected].