Learning How to Cook in New York City, Properly

Sam Cheng

Learning how to cook can be a fun and rewarding experience. Taking a cooking class can allow students to perfect their culinary skills and explore new cuisines.

Anah Oozeerally, Contributing Writer

From learning the basics to perfecting recipes, New York City offers classes which accommodate any level of culinary talents. Whether you are looking for an activity to do with friends or just trying to learn something new, there is something for everyone. Here is a list of some classes in the city that are quite popular.

For the beginner: The Brooklyn Kitchen

With two different locations, The Brooklyn Kitchen offers a copious number of classes for all levels of culinary skill. Classes start as low as $20 to learn basic knife skills, or you could take classes in different specializations ranging from making doughnuts to learning about Cambodian, Venezuelan or Moroccan cuisine. There is something for everyone here.

If you love Italian food: La Scuola di Eataly

The cooking classes offered by Eataly near the Flatiron Building specialize in every aspect of Italian food. Most classes are focused on different kinds of pasta, starting at $50.

If you miss a home cooked meal: League of Kitchens

The League of Kitchens is a unique, intimate cooking experience that actually takes place in someone’s home. Located all over the city, immigrants will teach you how to make food from their own cuisine. Not only will you get an immersive cultural experience, you also get a home-cooked meal. Chefs come from countries like Nepal to Bangladesh and more, so you can learn about a new type of cuisine or just get a taste of home starting at $110.

If you like sweets: L’École Valrhona Brooklyn

In these classes you will be able to work closely alongside renowned pastry chefs to create all types of sweet treats from handmade candy to decadent cakes, cookies to pastries. Prices range between $99 to $429.

If looking for a fun birthday spot: Milk Bar

Classes depend on the type of cake you want to make, but in each class, you learn what makes the cakes so special. Milk Bar is a great spot to have a birthday celebration or just to hang out with friends. For $95, you can make their famous Crack Pie and B’day Truffles.

If you love coffee: Toby’s Estate or Blue Bottle Coffee

If you ever wanted to learn what characteristics good coffee has, Toby’s Estate offers an intimate hour and a half coffee cupping — the practice of observing the tastes and aromas of brewed coffee —  class for only $10. The class is cut at a maximum of five people, so you’re sure to get attention and personal feedback from the chef.

Blue Bottle Coffee offers free coffee cupping classes in its Park Slope cafe in Brooklyn. On the flip side, you can take classes led by one of the baristas in its Greenwich Street location for $20 to learn the ins and outs of making the ultimate cup of coffee. You even get to take home a bag of coffee beans.

If you like vegetarian or vegan food: Natural Gourmet Institute

Classes are focused on cultivating flavors from all natural foods. It specializes in vegetarian and vegan meals. In each class, you create a multi-course meal that you get to enjoy once you’re finished cooking. This class costs $135. 

Although some of the prices are somewhat steep for an introductory class on cooking, perhaps it is worth it to go through the basics. So next time you miss a home-cooked meal, perhaps a cooking class could serve as the perfect remedy.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Feb. 5 print edition. Email Anah Oozeerally at [email protected].