NYU Receives Over 75,000 Applications for Class of 2022

NYU+has+received+the+highest+application+rate+passing+75%2C000+applicants+for+the+Class+of+2022.+

Via Facebook.com

NYU has received the highest application rate passing 75,000 applicants for the Class of 2022.

Kenneth Jung, Contributing Writer

President Andrew Hamilton announced that NYU received 75,037 applications for first-year admission to the Class of 2022 — the most applicants received by any private university in the United States, according to an NYU press release. This record reflects a 12 percent increase from last year’s 67,232 applications. The number of Early Decision I applications increased by 26 percent, and Early Decision II also increased by 22 percent.

Assistant Vice President and Dean of Admissions Shawn Abbott cited the university’s reputation, educational opportunities and global presence as some of the reasons why prospective students are choosing NYU over other institutions.

“NYU’s reputation speaks for itself and there are only few universities that offer the combination of a classic liberal arts education balanced with access to pre-professional opportunities — all set against the backdrop of the New York City skyline,” he said. “And more than ever, students are looking for a more international university experience. With our campuses in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai, as well as our global academic centers from London to Tel Aviv, there just isn’t another university that has the sort of global reach that we have here at NYU.”

Caitlin Hochwald, an incoming CAS freshman, is one of roughly 11,000 applicants who selected NYU as their top choice with an Early Decision application.

“I realized that NYU was where I wanted to attend college after I had gone to visit and experienced the electricity and vibrancy of the Village and campus,” Hochwald said. “New York City is a place with endless opportunities and adventures to be had that I wanted so badly to be a part of. This university has all of what the city has to offer and more, and I couldn’t be happier with my early decision acceptance to NYU’s class of 2022.”

Phoebe Kaplan, who was admitted to the Liberal Studies program, chose NYU for its study abroad opportunities and plans on studying at NYU London for her freshman year.

“The global perspective was one of the main reasons I chose NYU,” she said. “I was looking for a diverse environment to study and grow within, and I feel that studying in cities like London and New York would be perfect opportunities to do so. I like the idea of learning in a hands-on environment, and I think that traveling can not only educate but provide lifelong memories from my college experience.”

This year’s application statistics continue the 10-year streak of record-breaking application numbers, while the available space for freshmen across NYU’s three main campuses has remained the same at 6,500 for the third year in a row.

“NYU’s continued rise in a number of popular university rankings, combined with our global outreach and recruitment efforts, certainly help to propel increased interest,” Abbott said.

In response to the increased number of visitors for campus tours and information sessions, the new Bonomi Family Admissions Center at 27 West 4th St. is scheduled to open later this winter. Currently, the Jeffrey Gould Welcome Center receives over 100,000 visitors a year, and high demand has caused capacity issues in which visitors had to reserve space two to three months in advance.

“We have long since outgrown our existing space at the Jeffrey Gould Welcome Center and in recent years, we’ve had to turn away hundreds of families annually who wanted to visit NYU,” Abbott said. “The opening of the new Bonomi Family Admissions Center, created with a gift from NYU alumni, will enable us to meet and greet more visitors than ever before.”

Email Kenneth Jung at [email protected].