Choose Your Own (Birthday) Adventure

Sam Cheng

Check out some suggestions for low-cost birthday activities. (Photo by Sam Cheng)

Drew Lederman, Staff Writer

School can be busy, and losing track of days is inevitable. Things start springing up on us — like birthdays. If you don’t have plans, don’t panic. Here are some ideas tailored to your school at NYU to make the special day extra fun.

Disclaimer: We here at WSN do not condone underage drinking. Please consume responsibly.

Liberal Studies Program

Let’s be honest, you love museums. It’s because you’re so cultured. You should take a walk to the West Village and visit the world-class museum, the Whitney Museum of Art. After all that art and walking, you’re sure to have worked up an appetite. Grab an Instagram-worthy brunch at Bubby’s, Santina or Untitled.

Tisch School of the Arts

Your birthday should be all about you, right? Take a trip to Governors Island, where you can ride bikes and relax in the tranquility of nature with the best views of the tip of Manhattan. Take the ferry back and go to the fanciest movie theatre ever, iPic. You even have time left to go sing karaoke on St. Marks.

School of Professional Studies

Two words: bottomless brunch. Make your way to Poco, Pardon My French, San Marzano or Three of Cups for some serious food and fun. Then you have the whole afternoon to spend at Bowlmor, either for bowling or laser tag.

Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development

Your birthday should be spent with good friends, a bottle of champagne, a slice of cake from Momofuku Milk Bar and a picnic in the park. And then, of course, you will be going out. Tonight’s the perfect night to try out the famous McSorley’s Old Ale House or Stonewall Inn.

Gallatin School of Individualized Study

Have you always wanted to paint pottery? Make your way to Greenwich House Pottery or Clayworks Pottery and make something that will last you until your next birthday. Then grab a fancy dinner at Lafayette, where they will give you a free macaron and a magical sculpture of cake that lights up with sparklers.

Stern School of Business

If you’re tired from a long week, take the train up to Central Park to get in touch with nature. You can go ice skating or boating depending on the season and stop by the famous Levain Bakery or Serendipity 3 for some amazing desserts to celebrate.

College of Arts and Science

Treat yourself — get yourself a massive freakshake at Buns Bar or Black Tap and make your way to the fancy Fifth Avenue stores to buy yourself something pretty. At night you should go to Beauty Bar, where you can sip on a martini while a nail technician pampers you with a manicure.

Rory Meyers School of Nursing

You are the type of person who wants to take care of your body, even when you really don’t feel like it. On your birthday, you should have the best of both worlds. Grab a few friends and take a pole dancing class at Body and Pole or a unicorn-themed class at Marc Fisher Fitness. And after that, eat your heart out at S’Mac, a mac and cheese bar, because you deserve it.

Email Drew Lederman at [email protected].