Struggling to Find Hispanic Pride On Campus

Emi Bonet, Contributing Writer

Approximately 226 miles away from Miami, Florida is a small Cuban town called Villa Clara. It also happens to be where my mother and her family lived before immigrating to southern Florida. My father’s side of the family is from Camaguey, Cuba and also immigrated to Miami for a new life. I am Cuban-American and proud of it. Hispanic Heritage Month is from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 and is proudly celebrated by Hispanics throughout the United States. For me, celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month this year will be different because, for the first time in 18 years, I will not be in a city that is predominately Hispanic. There is no doubt that Miami has a vibrant and active Hispanic community —  one I have always been proud to be a part of. Although New York is considered a melting pot, it is an entirely new setting for me. Celebrating my heritage here is a new experience.

Back home, there are festivals and events held during Hispanic Heritage Month. You can find a Latin restaurant every few blocks or so. If you happen to be driving down Calle Ocho, there is always the possibility of hearing salsa music playing. In New York City, I do not have the comfort of my heritage surrounding me, but rather a variety of different cultures.

Surely I am not the only NYU student who feels alienated in the city. We come from all different parts of the world from all different walks of life. NYU celebrates its diversity and encourages inclusivity, but one cannot help but feel at least a hint of loneliness. Being away from home — especially at times when it counts most, such as religious holidays and cultural celebrations — is not easy for anyone, especially for a college freshman.

Amid the chaos and excitement of a new school year and a new journey, it is imperative to keep close connections to our roots and culture. Being away from home does not mean we need to sacrifice our traditions or habits, but rather embrace them in a new environment.  

Opinions expressed on the editorial pages are not necessarily those of WSN, and our publication of opinions is not an endorsement of them. Email Emi Bonet at [email protected].