‘Thirst Street’ — Under the Lights

Courtesy of Kevin McLean

Nathan Silver’s enthralling new film ‘Thirst Street’ tells a story of romantic obsession in Paris. The film opens on September 20th at Quad Cinemas.

Marisa Lopez, Contributing Writer

Night clubs and neon are the basis of director Nathan Silver’s enthralling film “Thirst Street.” Through the voice of actress Anjelica Huston, we learn about Gina (Lindsay Burdge) and her less than ideal past. While working as a flight attendant, she meets a man on a flight and becomes romantically involved with him. All seems to be going well, but Gina’s job puts immense strains on their relationship. Her boyfriend becomes obsessive, convinced Gina is only a flight attendant so she can spend her time away from him. Upon coming home from a trip, Gina finds that her partner has committed suicide.

“Thirst Street” takes viewers on a trip through Gina’s psyche in the most haunting way possible. Not only does the film explore the impact the death of a loved one has on an individual, but it also explores the ways others — in Gina’s case, her friends — try to console the individual directly impacted by the death.

After her partner’s death, Gina and her other flight attendant friends spend the night in Paris on layover, and the city serves as the setting for the entire film. Knowing Gina is very interested in horoscopes, her friends bribe a palm reader to tell Gina her future is bright. Gina runs with the palm reader’s notion that a man with something in his eye is in her future. With Gina’s well-being on their minds, her friends take her out to a nightclub for drinks. It is at the club where she meets Jérôme, a French bartender. The night ends in the two having sex, and Gina quickly forms a one-sided relationship with Jérôme. Fueled by the fear of returning home to loneliness, Gina impulsively decides to move to Paris.

As the film progresses, Gina’s character develops from an infatuated girl to a woman plagued by loneliness, unable to cope with her previous lover’s suicide. Blatantly ignoring Jérôme’s rejections, Gina is clearly blinded by what it is like to have someone close to her again. She latches on to the idea of the man with something in his eye.

It is undeniable that Silver’s film is visually stunning. The film’s aesthetic and subject matter complement each other flawlessly. The colorful neon lighting throughout “Thirst Street” highlights the characters’ expressions in a way that powerfully showcases their emotions. Silver’s stylistic lighting is further benefitted by a unique score; the blend of these two aspects contributes substantially to the film’s dark subject matter.

Gina’s character is one that many viewers might find themselves relating to in a far off, strange way. Craving attention and affection is a widespread sentiment that almost all humans share. The reaction this film elicits from the audience is one of shared dissatisfaction. Initially, viewers will find themselves wanting to feel sorry for Gina because her lover has just committed suicide, but as the film draws to a close, viewers will begin to question how far too far is when it comes to trying to feel whole again.

“Thirst Street” opens at the Quad Cinema at 34 W. 13th St. on Wednesday, Sept. 20.

Email Marisa Lopez at [email protected].