Fashion Palette: Australian RTW S/S 2018

Michaela Hoffman, Violet Vision Editor

When thinking of the world’s leading fashion hubs, one might not immediately think of Australia. However, if Fashion Palette’s Spring/Summer 2018 show proved anything, it is that Australia is ahead of the fashion curve. Founded in 2009, Fashion Palette is an Australian-run agency that employs a team of designers and other industry professionals to help put their work on the global fashion map. Fashion Palette New York Fashion Week, or FPNYFW, is their platform that serves to promote and celebrate Aussie fashion.

This year, FPNYFW featured designs from eight Australian designers, each of whom showcased their ready-to-wear collections on the runway. First up was Sabo Luxe, whose girly silhouettes, ruffled sleeves, pastel gingham and front knotted accents perfectly embodied the themes often associated with spring like rebirth and brightness. Immediately following was Ashlee Lauren’s accessories collection consisting of intricate gold leaf crowns, gold beaded chains and chandelier earrings. Each of the models wore a uniform consisting of lacy sheer black lingerie and white dress shirts, a complete juxtaposition of the innocence of the previous collection.

The next collection was Bronx & Banco, who immediately wowed the audience with their collection of colorful, glittery bodysuits, ruffled cocktail dresses and bejeweled capes. The puffiness of the sleeves and the abundance of ruffles immediately introduced a retro vibe to the runway that would remain the rest of the show. Haus of Song was up next, boasting a collection that played with vibrant colors, pin stripes and off-the-shoulder dresses that were reminiscent of a night out in New York City in the ‘80s.

Flare Street’s collection jumped back ten years with their ‘70s-inspired collection. Most of its looks were flared jumpsuits, but its bold use of color and patterns on the jumpsuits themselves made them their own work of art. Continuing with the  ‘70s vibe was Torrance, whose Studio 56 style collection made disco fashionable again with silk pantsuits, various hues of leather and sequins everywhere.

The final portion of the show consisted of two collections of dresses and pantsuits that are suitable for both work and for a night out on the town. MB the Label featured more form-fitting clothing with a neutral color palette and minimalist designs. Elliatt focused more on color and texture, with floral lace being the primary material used in their clothing. The standout piece in this collection appeared at the end — a white lacy dress adorned with small white flowers and white polka dotted tulle. This piece, paired with a silver jeweled crown and lace-up pink ballerina heels, reinforced the idea of innocence seen at the beginning of the show.

Email Michaela Hoffman at [email protected].