Chromat S/S 2018

Thomas Chou, Deputy Features Editor

The lights dimmed as a pulsing, electronic beat began to play. Huge monitors at the runway’s entrance displayed icy peaks atop mountains, as a rotating purple head moved to the music. Calling Chromat’s Spring/Summer 2018 a “visual experience” would certainly be an understatement, as the brand once again re-imagined garments that some might consider simple — bathing suits and bikinis.

The Chromat S/S 2018 collection was titled “Serenity”, and was a follow-up collection to their Autumn/Winter 2017 collection titled “Buoyancy”. The collection boasted models of all different ethnicities, ages and body shapes, from girls with smaller frames to plus size models. Notably, the show featured models with large social media presences, such as Jordyn Wood – a plus-size model who is often photographed with socialite and reality-TV star Kylie Jenner – along with Carmen Carrera – a transgender model who has walked in runway shows for many New York Fashion Week designers such as Marco Marco in the past.

Chromat designer Becca McCharen-Tran described her brand’s runway shows as, “a celebration of the strong, powerful women in our world.” Confidence and empowerment are part of McCharen-Tran’s ethos.

“Each collection builds on my foundation in architecture to create empowering garments that augment the body’s performance,” she said.” McCharen-Tran fondly refers to her models as #ChromatBABES, and through her social media following, sends messages of body-positivity and confidence to her followers.

The collection was comprised entirely of swimwear, but not all pieces were made from waterproof materials. McCharen-Tran utilized denim and what appeared to be cotton blend fabrics to create swimwear that could also double as clothing one might wear on the street. Yeha Leung, also known as @creepyyeha on social media platforms, designed the accessories, which were inspired and drew from BDSM motifs with chokers, corsets and metal body jewelry. With strong graphic lines and bold cuts, the collection was confident and sure, but following the collection’s title, “Serenity”, the collection did not feature any loud prints or distracting patterns. The models all wore their looks with self-confidence and a sense of conviction – the Chromat S/S 2018 collection was a celebration.

Email Thomas Chou at [email protected].