Supima S/S 2018

Pamela Jew, Deputy Copy Chief

Supima — a non-profit organization which promotes the use of American grown cotton — hosted its 10th annual design competition. This year’s show featured seven designers from seven different universities across the country. The seven designers were chosen by their respective university to present at New York Fashion Week and for the chance to win $10,000. All the designers used Supima cotton in their five designs.

Costume designer and television personality June Ambrose hosted the competition and previewed the show the day before, saying she was speechless from the designs thus far.

“I saw promise and I saw dreamers,” Ambrose said. “That gave me butterflies.”

Lela Thompson, Drexel University

Marked by laser cut dresses, Thompson’s collection was full of deep blues and reds. Thompson is interested in the merging of fashion and technology, which led her to utilizing laser appliques. All of her pieces retained a monochromatic palette for subtle three-dimensional effect.

Elizabeth Nancy Hennessey, Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising

Hennessey presented a more sophisticated collection filled with velveteen pantsuits and black cocktail dresses. The cocktail dresses held a surprise within the folds as Hennessey raveled the fabric into a rose design with shades of red and pink nestled on the underside.

Abigail Griswold, Rhode Island School of Design

With contrasting skin-tight neoprene designs and oversized coats, Griswold’s collection is branded as “athletic luxury.” Griswold used to be a competitive gymnast until an injury forced her to retire, and she took this misfortune and channeled it into her designs. The designs were all done in a black, white and nude color palette with blue statement pieces ranging from powder blue to cobalt blue.

Margaret Kwon, Parsons School of Design

Visions of spring fluttered about in Kwon’s collection with dresses adorned with Swarvoski crystals and paillettes, creating the illusion of flora. Kwon’s gowns glittered and created waterfalls of Supima fabric with cascade ruffles, which all derived from her watercolor sketches of the designs.

Alyssa Wardrop, Fashion Institute of Technology

A standout collection amongst the rest, Wardrop’s collection was full of boxy canvas tops and hand painted fabrics. Wardop’s designs are inspired by art history, and this collection appeared to pay homage to the heavy brushed paintings of modern artists like Koenig. Each of her pieces played with asymmetry and geometric lines as Wardrop pushed how her designs could be draped on the body.

Sarah Johnson, Kent State University

Playing with drapery, Johnson’s designs seemed to portray a nautical theme with ropes and metal grommets. Johnson used a primary color palette for the collection, which consisted of wide-leg pants and wrap dresses that gave off a summer yacht vibe with all the flowing fabrics.

Alexandra Pijut, Savannah College of Art and Design

Pijut’s designs were reminiscent of a spring picnic with plaid dresses and white screen-like fabric draped over the shoulders. The standout piece was the lavender houndstooth corset dress accompanied by a matching coat in the same print and color.

An esteemed panel of judges chose the winner of the competition and ultimately chose Alyssa Wardrop from FIT. Wardop’s family cheered as her win was announced, and Wardrop gave a heartfelt speech.

“Thank you to everyone who supported me — whether it was verbally, physically or just grabbing me a cup of coffee when I really needed it,” Wardrop said.

Email Pamela Jew at [email protected]