Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Avocado

Katie Peurrung

Avocados are no doubt a millennial favorite and can be found somewhere near every NYU residence.

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor

Considered the millennial fruit, the avocado is definitely one of the most popular fruits this year. They are great to put on toast, bowls or any other dish to liven them up. Here are some places you can get delicious avocado dishes near every dorm.

Goddard, Second Street and Brittany Hall

Café Gitane, Hours: Monday – Sunday, 8:30 a.m. to 12 a.m., Address: 242 Mott St.

Considered the birthplace of the New York avocado toast, Café Gitane is a great spot for both early morning breakfasts and late night dinners. The restaurant’s cuisine is inspired by Moroccan and French cuisine. For breakfast, you can try their famous avocado toast with avocado, lemon juice, olive oil and chili flakes on seven-grain toast. If you are looking for lunch or dinner, try their smoked trout salad with black lentils, walnuts, arugula, dried cranberries, avocado, goat cheese, cherry tomatoes, shallots and vinaigrette.

Lipton, Weinstein and Rubin Hall

Navy Restaurant, Hours: Monday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.;  Tuesday – Friday, 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., Address: 137 Sullivan St.

Known as an intimate seafood restaurant, Navy’s avocado toast is not the main attraction on the menu. Regardless the toast deserves praise for being delicious and refreshing. Their avocado and radish toast is made with pickled fennel, mustard seed and chili. You can also try their open-faced egg sandwich with bacon, cheese, avocado and fries. If you want to try their seafood you can try their crudo with red snapper, coco-lime, avocado, pickled chili, pepitas, cilantro or North Atlantic cod made with fall vegetables, avocado, baby onion, charred jalapeno broth and hazelnuts.

Gramercy Green

Blank Slate Coffee + Kitchen, Hours: Monday – Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday – Sunday, 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Address: 121 Madison Ave #5

Blank Slate is a perfect mix between a coffee shop, a dine-in cafe and a gourmet market. Their market offers fresh produce, specialty meats and local dairy. They have many avocado items on their menu, but there are a few you definitely should try. For breakfast, try their avocado toast made with chili honey, smoked salt and avocado mash on two slices of toasted country bread or their breakfast bowl with quinoa, spinach, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, sunny-side-up egg and avocado smash. For lunch, their rustic chicken sandwich with goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, avocado and greens with balsamic glaze on ciabatta.

Third North, Founders and Alumni Hall

Wichcraft, Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Address: 11 E. 20th St.

As one of the best places to get a sandwich, Wichcraft is committed to serving clean food that is both healthy and sustainable. Their turkey and avocado sandwich made with roasted turkey, avocado, bacon, balsamic onion relish and aioli on toasted ciabatta is definitely a must try. You can also get their avocado and greens salad with avocado, shredded vegetables, nuts, radish, romaine, arugula and tahini dressing.

Greenwich Hall and NYU Senior House on 13th St.

Banter, Hours: Monday – Sunday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Address: 169 Sullivan St.

Located in the heart of Greenwich Village, Banter is a Bohemian cafe that offers Australian bites including one of the best slices of avocado toast in Manhattan. Topped with goat cheese, tomatoes, micro basil, toasted pepitas and herb oil on a sourdough toast, their avocado toast can only get better with the poached egg you can add for an extra $3. If you are in the mood to treat yourself, definitely get a side of sweet potato fries. If you want something green, try their banter bowl with pickled carrot, cabbage, shaved radish, cucumber, edamame, avocado, quinoa served with miso and ponzu dressing and either smoked salmon or grilled chicken.  

U-Hall, Palladium, Coral Towers and Carlyle

Sweetgreen, Hours: Monday – Sunday, 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., Address: 8 E. 18th St.

Sweetgreen is the ultimate salad spot in New York. You can even make your own salad by hand-picking ingredients. If you are craving a healthy lunch or dinner, this is the place to go. Their Guacamole Greens salad has organic mesclun, avocado, roasted chicken, red onion, tomatoes, tortilla chips, fresh lime squeeze and lime cilantro jalapeno vinaigrette.  

Lafayette Hall

Cafe Henrie, Hours: Monday – Tuesday, 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Wednesday – Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.; Sunday, 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Address: 116 Forsyth St.

After opening up clubs around Paris and Shanghai, André Saraiva opened up an adorable, Parisienne cafe in the middle of the Lower East Side. Their menu consists of many dishes on to which you can add avocados, but their most famous avocado dish is their toast with house sprouts, herb tahini and watermelon radish. For lunch, try their chicken coconut bowl with lemongrass poached chicken, brown rice, carrot, turmeric coconut broth and add avocados.

Broome Street

Dudleys, Hours: Monday – Tuesday, 9 a.m. to 2 a.m.; Wednesday – Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 a.m.; Friday – Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 a.m.; Sunday, 9 a.m. to 12 a.m., Address: 85 Orchard St.

Dudleys is great for many reasons great location, late hours and a wide menu. You can get a variety of dishes any time you want to and will not feel bad because it will be freshly made and healthy. Their avocado toast is a great example of how less is more with salsa verde, cherry tomatoes, fried egg and avocado smash on top of toasted multigrain. If you want something other than toast, try their brown rice bowl with a soft poached egg, kohlrabi, avocado and pumpkin seed pesto.

Othmer Hall and Clark Street

Rucola, Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Saturday – Sunday, 9 a.m. to 12 a.m., Address: 190 Dean St.

Located in the heart of Boerum Hill, the rustic Northern Italian restaurant Rucola believes in serving meals with the highest quality ingredients that are brought to you directly from the farm. Their avocado toast is made from a slice of sourdough topped with tomatoes, olive oil and avocado mash. It may sound simple, but the freshness of the ingredients make the whole dish delicious. It is a longer walk for the residents who live in Clark Street, but it will be worth the walk.

Email Yasmin Gulec at [email protected]