Mapping Out Your Meal Plan

Tayler MacMillan

Boba Guys is a favorite among students to get bubble tea near campus, stocked with classics as well as adventurous flavors.

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor

New York City has infinite food options, which means you don’t have to travel far to get a cheap and delicious bite. And if you’re on a meal plan that you don’t know how to finish, or if you simply want to eat outside the dining halls without spending extra money, here are some perfect places to use up those dining dollars. A number of food spots near campus also take campus cash or offer NYU discounts.

Places That Take Dining Dollars

Starbucks

45 W. 4th St.

Starbucks at Faye’s is a great option for grabbing coffee between classes. It is also a place to have study sessions with friends. If you go there early, you can get a window seat and procrastinate by people watching. They also take campus cash.

Peet’s Coffee & Tea

Kimmel Center for University Life, 60 Washington Square South

If you want a quick bite to eat and a drink, Peet’s is a good option, especially if Starbucks at Faye’s is crowded — which it always is — and you are looking for a place to sit down. You can find NYU students studying or enjoying the balcony while sipping their drinks. Peet’s also takes meal swipes so you can get a drink, a snack and fruit for a meal swipe. It’s a pretty good deal.  

Argo Tea

239 Greene St.

Argo Tea is the perfect location for tea lovers with its huge variety of tea-based drinks. There are also coffee and bubble tea options available. Just like Peet’s and Starbucks, Argo Tea is another great place to study.

Places That Take NYU Campus Cash:

Oren’s Coffee

29 Waverly Pl. (across from Silver Center for Arts and Science)

Oren’s Coffee is a small coffee shop that is ideal for coffee to-go. It emphasizes the importance of serving quality and fresh coffee, offering delicious house-roasted brews and light-fare.

5 Napkin Burger

150 E. 14th St.

The Shake Shack versus In-N-Out debate has a new contender, and it’s as legit and delicious as the other two. Worthy of five napkins because of its mouth-watering burgers, 5 Napkin Burger is the perfect place to go and hang out with friends while indulging yourself in a delicious burger that you will not regret eating.

Boba Guys

11 Waverly Pl.

Boba Guys is one of the best places to get bubble tea in New York. You can choose from a variety of flavors, milk options, toppings, and sweetness levels. They have decaf and caffeinated drinks. You should definitely try the Horchata with housemade rice milk, cinnamon and boba.

Places That Offer an NYU discount

TheLeWala Indian Roll

112 MacDougal St.

Thelewala is the perfect midnight munchies remedy. Only a short walk from Lipton Residence Hall, this place offers delicious Calcutta Nizami Rolls, Vegetable Rolls, Chaatwalas, and Calcutta Basti Khanas. Definitely try the Chata Pata Paneer Roll with paneer cheese, tomato sauce and onions; and Chicken Malai Roll with fried eggs, creamy marinade, red onions, and lime.

Spot Dessert Bar

13 St. Marks Pl.

Spot Dessert Bar combines American and Asian flavors to make your taste buds explode with joy. Order one of their most famous desserts, The Harvest — layers of berries, soft cheesecake, meringue, raspberry sorbet, and black rose tea served in a small pot.

A version of this article appeared in the Sunday, Aug. 27 print edition. Email Yasmin Gulec at [email protected].