TOME F/W 2016

Gabriella Bower, Editor-at-Large

Despite the slush and sleet showering on New York City, TOME Fall/Winter 2017 transported you to a tropical jungle where women of all shapes, sizes and ethnicities were celebrated. The music was lively and upbeat, and the collection paid tribute to The Guerilla Girls — a community of feminist activist artists. Fur, yellow and black hues and bananas were dominant themes. The ensembles emulated women who don’t take fashion too seriously, who use it for self expression and resistance. As TOME noted in their show handout, “The fur and bananas are fake, but the sentiment is real. Humor is resistance!”

A brand founded on the mission of dressing all women truly did not disappoint its audience. Several plus sized models, including  Jacalyn O’Shaughnessy graced the runway for TOME once again and models from every walk of life strutted her own unique strut.   And every model’s walk was complete with a Christian Louboutin velvet wedge or tassel slipper in custom colors for this  collection. Moreover, as finalists in the CFDA + Lexus Fashion Initiative, designers Ramon Martin and Ryan Lobo presented sustainability at the forefront. They recycled gloves, coats, bras and cotton shirts from seasons past, proving that fashion has no reason to be wasteful.

A standout look was the gorilla face jacket complete with faux fur sleeves made of Peruvian Alpaca, a marigold slip dress, black tights and heels. A blush long sleeve midi dress of glistening satin was another favorite. The collection effortlessly transitioned from yellows and blacks to bright and pale pinks to baby blues.Whatever jungle you may be conquering — concrete or tropical — TOME has the pieces you didn’t know your wardrobe was missing.

While TOME said this collection stood for many things — sustainability, intellect, sensuality — first and foremost TOME stood with Planned Parenthood because “My Body, My Choice.”

Email Gabriella Bower at [email protected].