Post-Its With Swastika, ‘White Pride’ Found on Gramercy Door

Courtesy of Anastasiya Muravyeva

The post-it notes covering Anastasiya Muravyeva’s door on Nov. 17 displayed rhetoric commonly employed by white nationalists, like “white pride” and “make America white again.”

At around 11 a.m. today, students living in the Gramercy Green residence hall found four hand-written sticky notes on their door displaying pro-Donald Trump rhetoric. Three of the notes read: “Trump,” “White Pride” and “Make America White Again.” The fourth bore a drawing of a swastika.

Steinhardt sophomore Anastasiya Muravyeva saw the notes on her door this morning and posted a photo to a Gramercy Facebook group and on her own Facebook timeline.

“To whoever did this to my door today, joke or not, I am not laughing,” she wrote in the timeline post. “My Jewish and homosexual roommates are not laughing. Nobody is laughing.”

Shortly after finding the notes, Muravyeva alerted NYU Public Safety and filed a police report. The NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force also came to the dorm to speak with her about the incident.

“My Residence Director just asked me to take the photo down from the group page so it won’t trigger anyone in the community,” Muravyeva said. However, she made the post on her own Facebook timeline public.

Similar messages on the same colored post-it notes were found on doors of the 14th floor, reading “White Lives Matter Too.”

Trump’s election as president last week has sparked incidents like these across the nation — including the vandalism of the prayer room at the Tandon School of Engineering. In an email to the NYU community earlier this week, President Andrew Hamilton called behavior like this “unacceptable.”

University spokesperson John Beckman said the post-it comments were vile as well as racist, and the university is shocked by these messages. He said that this kind of “appalling behavior” has no place at NYU, and the university will not tolerate abuse or intimidation of community members.

“We have brought in the NYPD to investigate and will assist them in any way possible with their investigation,” Beckman said. “NYU will remain focused on the safety, well-being and support of our students, and on fostering a diverse, inclusive and respectful community in which these kind of cowardly, ghastly, anonymous actions have no place.”

He said that the university has offered support to the rooms’ occupants. We will update the story as more information becomes available.

Additional reporting by Paris Martineau. Email Sayer Devlin and Diamond Naga Siu at [email protected].