Tights Aren’t Just an Accessory Anymore, They Can Be the Focal Point of Your Outfit

Hannah Shulman

Mixed print tights were one of the many trends dominating this year’s NYFW runway.

Camille Larkins, Contributing Writer

Tights dominated the runways of New York Fashion Week, and in subfreezing temperatures, our legs are grateful. This season, tights have become a focal point rather than just a subtle addition to an outfit. Forget about boring, sheer black stockings or your grandma’s pantyhose — this year, tights are all about bold designs and bright colors. Here are some of the season’s top trends:

Loud Prints

Take a tip from designers like Tanya Taylor and Zimmerman, whose Autumn/Winter 2016 lines feature a variety of printed tights. The secret to this look is a continuation of colors or prints throughout the outfit. For example, if wearing pink and green floral tights, one should wear a similarly-colored turtleneck. For a look right off the runway, wear tights and a dress or shirt in matching prints.

Cable Knit

The cutest addition to a colorful shirt dress (the latest spring staple) is a pair of neutral cable knit tights. This look is especially great for cold days — you won’t have to sacrifice your legs’ warmth for a polished and youthful look. If you aren’t a fan of cable knit, opaque tights with a colorblock pattern will make your outfit pop as well.

Polka Dots

The best way to liven up a boring black evening dress is with a subtle print on your tights. Ditch the normal sheer black tights and opt for an interesting but not overly dramatic look with sheer polka dots or lace. You can find printed tights at Urban Outfitters, which is currently offering a two for $10 sale on tights.

The Slouchy Socks

No matter what kind of tights you’re wearing, socks keep your feet warm and double as a cute outfit detail. Bunch up gray or black socks with ankle boots to tie your outfit together. Alternatively, thigh or knee-high socks layered over sheer or patterned tights is always a cute and winter-friendly look.

Words Like Wang

Alexander Wang made classic sheer black tights a little edgier printing text like “girls” or “tender” around the thighs where a traditional garter would have been. These tights make a statement without relying on eccentric prints. Pulling off this look won’t be difficult, but getting your hands on Wang’s fall 2016 Ready-to-Wear collection may be.

Pattern Mixing

Don’t be afraid to mix patterns. Find a pair of tights in a neutral color with a simple pattern, but don’t feel obligated to only pair them with solid colors. This spring, try to mix patterns that complement each other, not only with dresses and outerwear but with your tights too.

Email Camille Larkins at [email protected].