‘Superstore’ is NBC’s return to comedy

Anubhuti Kumar, Staff Writer

From Justin Spitzer, a former writer on the NBC hit “The Office,” comes the hilarious new comedy “Superstore.” A funny and highly entertaining new show starring America Ferrera and Ben Feldman, “Superstore” is a must-see for NBC’s upcoming spring lineup.

Two episodes premiered on Nov. 30 as a preview before the show launches in its regular spot on Mondays at 8 p.m. starting Jan. 4. The third episode is also available online at NBC.com.

The show is very reminiscent of the creator’s “Office” roots. It follows a band of characters who come together at their seemingly drab jobs in a superstore called Cloud 9. Amy, played by Ferrara, has made a career out of this job, having been there for the past 10 years. Jonah, played by Ben Feldman, is new to the community and has not gotten off on the best foot. He faces many mishaps on his first day, from knocking over stacks of groceries to misplacing expensive electronics. This quickly sets off Amy’s short temper, leaving Jonah racing to make amends.

The highlight of “Superstore” is the various wonderfully strange minor characters. The show features a delusional assistant store manager, a blissfully naive manager, an overzealous new associate and a pregnant teenager along with her aspiring rapper boyfriend. The multitude of personalities make “Superstore” engaging and exciting, as the audience finds out more about them and each of their personal lives.

This new sitcom appears to mark NBC’s successful return to the comedy genre after a recent run of short-lived series in the last few seasons. Feldman, the male lead in “Superstore,” also starred in last season’s “A to Z,” a romantic comedy opposite Cristin Milioti, which only lasted half a season.

The show teases a romance between Amy and Jonah, though complications seem imminent as Amy is seen walking towards her car while sliding on a ring, since jewelry is against the employee dress code. An insightful look into the many facets of American society, it features issues such as elitism, racism and especially materialism, considering the setting. Yet the heart of this show lies in the fact that it manages to tackle these issues in a fun, lighthearted and therefore more universal way.

“Superstore” promises to make Mondays more bearable when January arrives. Audiences get a glimpse of diverse coworkers finding a way to work together, while also trying to find moments of beauty in their potentially droll jobs and conflicting personalities.

“Superstore” airs on Mondays at 8 p.m. starting Jan. 4, 2016.

A version of this article appeared in the Dec. 7 print edition. Email Anubhuti Kumar at [email protected].