Stern hosts annual Big Data Conference

facebook.com

On October 23rd, Stern’s Big Data Conference will explore how mobile technologies and connected smart devices affect advertising, promotions, marketing ROI, and omni-channel targeting effectiveness.

Ludovica Grieco, Contributing Writer

On Friday, thousands of students, professors and data professionals will gather for the Stern School of Business’s Big Data Conference, an annual event organized in collaboration with the Marketing Science Institute and the Global Center for Big Data in Mobile Analytics.

The conference was started by the Global Center for Big Data, which was founded by Xueming Luo, a professor at Temple University. Each year, different schools host the event and speakers to discuss increases in technological development, digital big data and mobile marketing analytics.

Organized by professors and conference chairmen Xueming Luo and Russell Winer, the event will host a number of keynote speakers to address the implications of technology on the larger practices of marketing in the industry.

Featured keynote speakers include Stern professor of marketing Anindya Ghose, principal Microsoft researcher Dan Goldstein, as well as professors from other universities around the country.

Luo said the speakers are selected as such because they are experts in big data analytics, econometric modeling and marketing mix modeling.

“This year our keynotes and submissions address cutting-edge thoughts on how marketing science benefits big data analytics practice, how machine learning predictions can be improved with marketing theory and causal inference and how econometric models of consumer demand can circumvent some limitations of big data-based field experiments,” Luo said.

Russell Winer, professor of marketing at NYU’s Stern School of Business said all the presentations are done by academics and practitioners who conduct research and business in this field.

A variety of arguments will be touched upon throughout the conference, including topics regarding mobile web and app platforms. These concepts will be addressed in the contexts of competition, brand deep engagement, coupon customization and cross-channel cross-devices attribution.

This year the conference is expecting more than 170 students to attend, the majority of which will be Stern students.

Stern junior Fahad Jamal said the data industry has created plenty of opportunities and potential for newer companies to develop as well.

“The rise of big data has really brought about a ton of new collaborative business opportunities for businesses,” Jamal said. “I am excited to see this conference showcase the breadth of work and innovation taking place as a result of all this information.”

James Bazakos, senior in Operations Management at Stern, said using big data analytics creates efficient marketing systems for businesses.
“I am excited to attend the Big Data Conference this year,” Bazakos said.Using big data, you can identify the key behavioral patterns associated with your perceived target consumer, allowing for cost-efficient targeted marketing, and perhaps your only opportunity to be heard today.”

Email Ludovica Grieco at [email protected].