From screen to street: TV-inspired NYC days

Staff

Broad City

by Kavish Harjai

Whether you’re on the prowl for a muscular bisexual dude with a “pink dick,” or have an affinity for improv comedy, taking a day trip around the city inspired by Broad City’s Abbi and Ilana is the best way to find what you’re looking for.

In “Stolen Phone,” the sixth episode of the first season of Broad City, Abbi’s phone is stolen and the comedic duo take a circuitous journey all over Manhattan, following the little dot on the “Find My iPhone” app. The trip takes New York’s favorite “feminist heroes” from the epicenter of waspiness to the bustling Times Square, stopping at all the spots where every tourist goes before they leave the city.

Follow in their footsteps and experience some of the best parts of the city through Abbi and Ilana’s eyes.

Upper East Side
Known for its air of superiority and overt gaudiness, the Upper East Side could be considered what Abbi and Ilana call a “vapid wasteland.” But, if you appreciate the fine arts to any extent, the Upper East Side is full of places to spend your day. The Frick Collection, an opulent museum featuring the likes of Rembrandt and Renoir, is a popular go-to. Another need-to-see museum is the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which gained its international fame from its extensive holdings of Asian, African, Ancient Egyptian, Islamic and Byzantine art. While the Frick is free with your NYU ID, the Met suggests a donation.

Central Park
If you find yourself getting tired from looking at art you don’t quite understand, head to Central Park, which is just west of the Upper East Side. The park is huge, spanning from 59th to 110th streets, so everyone can find their zen zone. Find yours and relax. Ladies, you might want to  take a note from Ilana and strip your top off—women can be legally topless in New York City, so go ahead and finally be free. #FreeTheNip

Times Square
Head downtown after your New York-state-of-mind can’t relax any longer and go to Times Square. Enjoy it while you can—soon enough, you’re going to loathe the sweaty, bustling overhaul of capitalism. Try not to stop walking or you might get shoulder checked by a cynical New Yorker who already hates it there. Take a selfie on the red steps of the TKTS counter and ogle at all the advertisements. When your head starts hurting from the onslaught of light, head to Midtown Comics (200 W. 40th St.), the comic book collector’s enclave, and then for some coffee and Jewish comfort food at Café Edison (228 W. 47th St).

East Village
Get back to your hood for the end of your Manhattan journey. But remember, just because someone has abs does not mean they are funny, so skip out on that hunky dude’s improv show and head to Upright Citizens Brigade East, more commonly known as UCB East, for a guaranteed good time (153 E. 3rd Street).

Gossip Girl

by Gabriella Bower

Hop on the subway and abandon the Village’s bohemian vibe for a day in Blair Waldorf or Serena van der Woodsen’s shoes in the Upper East Side.

The day should start at none other than Dean & Deluca, located at 1150 Madison Ave. Pick up a yogurt parfait and a latte, then take a five minute stroll to the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and enjoy your breakfast as Blair and Serena would.

Next it’s time for school. Walk south along Fifth Avenue toward the Museum of the City of New York, located at 1220 Fifth Ave. This museum’s entrance was used for both the entrance to Constance Billard School for Girls and St. Jude School for Boys. Although the inside was never used for the show, explore the museum anyway — it is filled with our city’s rich history.

After school, get an afternoon snack at Ladurée (846 Madison Ave.) True Gossip Girl fans will remember that this is Blair’s favorite macaroon shop. Then relax at The New York Palace Hotel (455 Madison Ave.) where the van der Woodsen’s called home.  Walk around the courtyard where Nate confronted Serena after her infamous return home in the first episode, or hang out in the lobby where lonely boy Dan Humphrey returned Serena’s phone and then proceeded to ask her out on a date.

After resting up, walk over to Bergorf Goodman (754 Fifth Ave.)  and or Henri Bendel (712 Fifth Ave.) for some retail therapy — or at least some nice window shopping. Bergdorf and Bendel were favorites of Serena and Blair and are home to many of their favorite designers.

The last stop on this Gossip Girl tour of New York City is across town at Chuck Bass’ home, the Empire Hotel (44 W. 63rd St.) The Empire Hotel has spectacular views of the Lincoln Center and the rest of the Upper West Side to be enjoyed during the day or night.

Girls

by Alanna Bayarin

As an NYU alumna, HBO Girls’ Shoshanna Shapiro knows what it’s like to be in your shoes. Hannah, Marnie, Jessa and Shosh have paved the way for you to wreak havoc all over New York City.

Bob’s Bagels (51 University Place)

It’s almost part of the NYU experience to grab a bagel at Bob’s Bagels on your way to class, but Shosh and Jessa chat about Shosh’s “day date” with Bryce who she met on electrichellos.com.

BabyCakes Bakery (248 Broome St.)

Shosh tries (and fails) to rekindle an old Camp Ramah flame in front of BabyCakes bakery on the Lower East Side. BabyCakes is a gluten-free, vegan, kosher, dairy-free, soy-free, wheat free, refined sugar-free and egg-free establishment, so it’s perfect for hipsters of all kinds at NYU.

Dylan’s Candy Bar (1011 Third Ave.)

Usually I’d warn you to steer clear of tourist traps like Dylan’s Candy Bar, but if you want the real Shoshanna Shapiro experience you have to go. Shosh weirdly shows her support for Jessa’s abortion by bringing bags of Dylan’s to the OB-GYN office to make the outing more festive.

Cafe Grumpy (193 Meserole Ave., Brooklyn, NY)

In order to get the real Girls experience you have to head over to Greenpoint mainly because Hannah and Marnie’s apartment is there. While there you should check out Cafe Grumpy — the cafe where Ray works — which is known for its Heartbreaker Espresso.

A print version of this article appeared in the Food and Fun Guide. Email Kavish Harjai at [email protected], Gabriella Bower at [email protected], and Alanna Bayarin at [email protected].