Designers give back to those in need

Housing Works has 13 locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Francesca Conlin, Contributing Writer

Designer collaborations with department store brands are more popular than ever: Isabel Marant for H&M, 3.1 Phillip Lim for Target, Kanye West for APC, the list goes on. However, many do not know about some even more important collaborations: those between designers and charities.

For some designers, a charitable collaboration means starting their own foundation, such as Angela Ahrendts and the Burberry Foundation. For others it is about creating an entire collection or line that donates the profits to a cause, like Urban Zen by Donna Karan.

Most recently, Suno, Tory Burch, Giambattista Valli for Moncler and others have donated exclusive pieces to the First Annual Fashion for Tibet auction, taking place on April 9. The proceeds benefit the Trace Foundation, which provides education and healthcare in Tibet.

We often forget to be conscious of our purchases. It is important to remember to give back, and fashion is a great way to do that. You will not have to feel guilty if the next time you buy something, it is from one of the brands below who contributes to charities in a variety of ways.

Warby Parker

Beloved eyewear startup Warby Parker operates via a “Buy a Pair, Give a Pair” method. Purchase a pair of any of their glasses and another one is donated to someone in need. There are other companies that donate in this way, such as TOMS shoes, providing an easy way to give back through your purchases.  Warby Parker’s latest venture, Warby x 826, supports the 826 initiative, which promotes youth literacy. A limited edition line of glasses is available to buy online and in Warby Parker stores. You will also have the option of purchasing two original publications written by the program’s students when checking out.

Lemlem

Started by supermodel Liya Kebede, former World Health Organization Goodwill Ambassador for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health, Lemlem sells garments weaved by women in Ethiopia. Purchasing an item from this line means you are not only helping to preserve an ancient art but also giving jobs back to weavers so they can regain their economic independence.

Fashion Project

Fashion Project helps you score designer duds at a fraction of the price while also contributing to a charity of your choice. You can shop for items from brands like Kate Spade, Michael Kors and Diane von Furstenburg, and 55 percent of the net proceeds from every item will go toward one of their dozens of charity partners. The company supports both national and international charities, from Chicago Pet Rescue to the Women’s Global Empowerment Fund, which helps women in Uganda. You also have the option of donating your own clothes and indicating which organization you want the proceeds to go toward.

Housing Works

If you are looking to give back locally, in a way that does not require any purchasing but rather giving on your part, Housing Works is the place to go. Now that it is spring, empty out your closets and take your gently used clothes, books, and even housewares to your nearest Housing Works, an organization that sells items donated from locals of New York City at their 13 thrift store locations throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn. All proceeds go towards providing housing, medical and support services for those living with and affected by HIV/AIDS in New York.

A version of this article appeared in the April 8 print edition.  Email Francesca Nella Conlin at [email protected]