Naeem Kahn Fall/Winter 2015

Grace Halio, Contributing Writer

Grace Halio
Grace Halio

Naeem Kahn’s Fall/Winter 2015 show opened with a live graffiti-esque painting in blue hues to catch the attention of attendees. Kahn’s line celebrated ten years of showing in New York City and paid homage to the timeless woman he designs for.

A black gown with a sculpted bodice and hand-painted gold detailing opened the show, which was followed by a matching coat adorned with hundreds of gold beads. A dark fur scarf and shimmery gold pants completed the look.
As the show progressed, garments in rich hues of burgundy and chartreuse brought rich color to the runway, and were reminiscent of Kahn’s Indian roots.
A coral ostrich feathered hooded jacket was paired with tights that had detailing in the same shade. As the show progressed, more tailored coats with beaded lattice patterns emerged. Other models sported tuxedo jackets with wide lapels. Padded shoulders and sharp, tailored lines lent themselves to clean silhouettes.
Gowns with plunging necklines and billowing skirts added polish to the collection. Some were intricately beaded in silver, and others had fringe that moved beautifully on the runway.
One standout look included a pair of silver trousers and a flowing black cape, captivating guests as it combined the functionality of a pant with with the mystery and beauty of a cape.
The final look in the collection was a sheer white romper speckled with Swarovski crystals that gleamed in the light. A floor length open front cape of the same fabric added an ethereal vibe.
Kahn’s Fall/Winter 2015 collection was a balanced palette of saturated colors and classic black and white, allowing him to design for today’s woman while staying true to his aesthetic.
Email Grace Halio at [email protected]