NYC shows feature range of music

The+crowd+at+Governors+Ball+2014+while+Phoenix+performs.+

Rachel Kaplan

The crowd at Governors Ball 2014 while Phoenix performs.

Zane Warman, Staff Writer

Music fans are now looking forward for the fifth annual Governors Ball. The lineup for New York’s three-day festival housed on the Randall’s Island borough junction was announced on Jan. 7. Headliners feature key players in various genres, including Deadmau5, The Black Keys and Björk. As Drake and Chromeo fans alike eagerly await June 5, there’s a plethora of shows in the upcoming weeks to keep music
aficionados satiated.

Although there are many high-energy acts on the horizon, few will come close to the explosive festival highs than Jack White, who plays Madison Square Garden on Jan. 30. White is a mastermind of a musician, not only in his impressive command of guitar, but also in his ability to lead his tightly run band in collective improvisation, not unlike his old blues heroes. With such talented musicians and a mad genius as frontman, this concert will prove to be a gripping evening at the Garden.

Empire of the Sun performs at Governors Ball 2014.
Rachel Kaplan

Pacific folk mainstay and Fleet Foxes collaborator J. Tillman visits New York under his Father John Misty moniker for two shows: one at Rough Trade on Feb. 12 and another at the Bowery Ballroom on Valentine’s Day. The curator of what he calls the “Modern American Popular Song” promises a bric-a-brac evening that mixes old-school folk styles and surprisingly conscious lyrics with his laid-back, merry-prankster onstage attitude. Highlights from “I Love You, Honeybear,” his highly anticipated sophomore album that will be releasedon Feb. 10 are sure to be featured at both events.

Recently paroled pseudo-mogul Meek Mill will also be performing on Feb. 12 at Best Buy Theater. A committed model of the trap-rap scene, Meek Mill brings an ambitious, authentic vigor to his live shows that sets him apart from his colleagues. The Philadelphia-based artist will bring out several guests from his Dream Chasers label, along with tracks from his delayed album, “Dreams Worth More Than Money.”

A fan rests among the crowd at Governors Ball 2014
Rachel Kaplan

Those searching for a carefree show ripe for dancing need look no further than Gorgon City, the understated drivers of the newest generation of house producers. The duo’s Feb. 17 set at Irving Plaza promises bouncy synthesized bass, flashing lights and smooth, soulful vocals over energetic beats.

Gorgon City’s show serves as a preview for their appearance at Governors Ball, marking the duo’s second consecutive year at the festival. Many others will also be testing the waters in anticipation for their summer spots, including moody singer-songwriter Sharon Van Etten at Warsaw on Feb. 18 and 19; Logic at Webster Hall on March 13; and folk kings The Decemberists at the Beacon Theatre on April 6.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 26 print edition. Email Zane Warman at [email protected].