Dennis Basso Spring/Summer 2015

Megan Tomei, Contributing Writer

Dennis Basso’s Spring/Summer 2015 collection ran with a well of water and floral motifs. Although he is mostly known for furs and jewel tones, this season’s collection was designed with a light and playful mood in mind. The overall theme was inspired by a chic Mediterranean look from the 1960s, redesigned for the modern woman.

Basso created the looks from this season to be interchangeable and universal.

“These would work whether you’re at a poolside lunch or a gala dance on the terrace at the water’s edge,” Basso said.

The versatile collection featured countless looks from steel grey furs and mink vests to A-line dresses and embroidered detailing. And every piece could easily be dressed up or down for any occasion.

The show began with a series of playful cream and eggshell dresses, popular 60s styles now revamped. Although the look was very young and innocent, the ensembles glistened with metallic accents or fur vest pairings to boast an elevated sophistication.

Breezy, chiffon dresses were embroidered with sparkling flower petals to aid the vintage styles with a more modern polish. Floral patterns appeared like painted watercolors upon airy pieces while blush pink and gold mosaic coats melded the worlds of pastel and metal. As models strut down the runway in silks infused with olive and gold tones, “Drunk in Love” blasted in the background, reminding the audience of the collection’s quiet sensuality.

The overall tone of the show was innocent yet fierce, shown by the conservative cut of the pieces juxtaposed with their flashy jewel details. This season, Dennis Basso definitely fused the best of both worlds, proving that old can be new and sweet can be sexy.

Email Megan Tomei at [email protected].