Seasoned NYU students share Welcome Week advice

With hundreds of events going on around campus and in the city, Welcome Week may seem overwhelming. Don’t worry; NYU students share favorite moments of their Welcome Week and offer advice on making it the best it can be.

“Decide ahead of time how you want to set the tone for your NYU career. If you want to write for the school paper, find out who the editors are. If you want to run for a hall council position, seek out existing hall council members. It’s equally important to make connections with upperclassmen during this week as it is with other freshmen. It can be easy to get overwhelmed or to just follow your new roommate, but this is the time to establish yourself, so make sure you spend your time wisely (and have fun!)”

— Olivia Baackes, Gallatin senior

Courtesy of Kenneth Kriheli

“My best advice about Welcome Week is that you should make it pertain to you. That way, you’ll really experience it, instead of having information thrown at you. Some musts are ‘Bobst 101,’ which at least familiarizes you with the library, anything about clubs and internship and entertainment discount opportunities and especially anything about safety and security on the street. All of those were great eye-openers.”

­— Kenneth Kriheli, Tisch sophomore

Courtesy of Rebecca Belkin

“My most memorable experience from Welcome Week, as an incoming freshman was the Reality Show at the Presidential Welcome. I just remember hearing about it before — a musical about college life — and expecting a mediocre skit. But when I saw the cast come out and watched the first number, I remembered that NYU is a school famous for its theater programs and that, in all likelihood, some of the people I was watching would be performing on Broadway some day. It was that moment that it really sunk in how ambitious and competitive, but also funny and silly NYU is.”

— Rebecca Belkin, Silver junior

Courtesy of Jenn Kim

“Get out of your dorm room. There’s a whole city out there to be explored. Some of the NYU events are pretty cool, and even if they aren’t, there’s always the chance to meet other students. But freshmen shouldn’t feel restricted to the events, as there’s a whole city out there to explore. We get to go to school in Greenwich Village, so take the time to explore it. Also, there’s a reason people call New York City the city that never sleeps. There’s always something to eat, no matter the time.”

— Jenn Kim, CAS senior

A version of this story appeared in the Aug. 26 print edition. Tatiana Baez is deputy university editor. Email her at [email protected].