Step 1: Finding Roommates

Living with a roommate can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your college career. Whether you find a new hobby, learn a new skill, or become good friends, living with a roommate can be fun! However, living with someone also has its challenges. As you prepare for your search for a roommate, consider some of the advice we have provided below.

Advice on Living with Others

Please keep in mind that everyone has different beliefs, values, experiences, communication styles, and expectations. With that being said, you and your roommate may become the best of friends, or you may only see each other when you’re in your room. No matter how close you are, you have to work together to establish and maintain a positive living environment. Having the right attitude can make living with a roommate a little easier for everyone living in the room.

As soon as you get settled into your room, you should discuss your expectations honestly. The biggest conflicts often arise when expectations are not addressed from the beginning. Don’t put off talking to each other about how you want to live, needs, quirks, and pet peeves. It’s a great way to help manage conflict in the future.

Speaking openly about what you expect from each other and your personal habits is a vital step that many people skip especially if living with a friend or someone you already know. It’s pretty common for roommates to think that if they get along well as friends, they will get along as roommates, however, often living with friends and not discussing the things that might bother one another, can cause tension.

Living off campus, means you are pretty much on your own to work out problems with your roommate — unlike the residence hall where you might have an RA to help you resolve and mediate problems. Just like any relationship, it’s always a work in progress. But talking to one another, being honest about feelings, and developing a relationship that involves sharing, compromise, and respect will insure that you have a great living situation.

Got suggestions to add to this page, email us at [email protected].

Helpful Resources

• Finding the Perfect Roommate (PDF 90 kB) – Use this helpful questionnaire to help start the conversation about what is most important to you in a roommate and living situation.
  • Roommate Agreement Form (PDF 41kB) – From cleaning the apartment to hosting guests, deciding on how to split costs, the following documents can help you have a successful roommate relationship.

Click Here for Step 2: Costs/Budgeting