NYU Predicts: 2020 Super Bowl Predictions

With the 2020 Super Bowl on the horizon, we asked NYU students to give us their predictions and hot takes.
NYU students look forward to the 2020 Super Bowl and share their predictions (Image via Wikimedia)

The 2020 Super Bowl will take place on Sunday, Feb. 2 with a match-up between the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers. Led by star quarterback Patrick Mahomes, the Chiefs’ offense this postseason has exploded for 51 points against the Houston Texans and 35 points against the Tennessee Titans. 49ers fans will be looking to the team’s lockdown defense, its aggressive offensive line and its dominant run game led by Raheem Mostert, who scored four touchdowns against the 13-3 Green Bay Packers, who were coming off an impressive victory against the fifth-seeded Seattle Seahawks, in the NFC Championship Game. 

Despite attending a football-less university, NYU students use the NFL as an outlet to starting conversations and creating friendships. From discussing their football opinions with strangers to hosting viewing parties in the TV lounge during the regular season, NYU students use professional football as an alternative to the college football experience. NYU students eagerly stated their predictions for Super Bowl LIV. 

“Kansas City Chiefs will win. The Chiefs were able to contain one of the best run offenses in the league and much of what we saw today with the 49ers was a run game that, frankly, Green Bay could not stop. [Jimmy] Garoppolo [49ers quarterback] has had one good year and is inexperienced. Also, the 49ers defense did allow 20 points to the Green Bay Packers. The Chiefs’ offense is just too fast and versatile for the 49ers’ defense.” — Naman Rai, Stern first year

“I think Kansas City has the major edge because, with the amount of preparation that goes into this one game, the value of playmakers able to adjust on the fly goes through the roof. Look at [quarterback for the 2019-2020 NCAA Football National Champion, LSU] Joe Burrow’s performance in the [NCAA Division One] National Championship. Mahomes is the living embodiment of a playmaker, so if he stays calm enough, I can see KC running away with this one. Also 49ers [Running back Tevin] Coleman is questionable with a shoulder injury. KC by nine.” — Coltrane Tait, Stern senior

“I would lean towards the Niners because they have a better pass defense. I think it will be high scoring because both teams can score but since it’s the Super Bowl, it could be a pretty low scoring game.” — Nicholas Wong, Stern first year

“I’d have to give the 49ers a slight edge over Kansas City in the Super Bowl, and that’s really based on the offensive vs. defensive balance. Although Kansas City has an amazing passing game, the 49ers arguably have the best pass defense in the league, and I think they’ll be able to apply a significant amount of pressure on Mahomes. Although Mahomes can be a threat on the ground, KC doesn’t have enough of a run game. When talking about the 49ers, they have a reasonably productive passing game and an incredible running game, which I think will be problematic for Kansas City.” — Mihir Doshi, CAS first year

“I think the 49ers will win the Super Bowl, but it’s going to be a close game. My biggest concern is at [quarterback] because Garoppolo runs the ball a lot and the Chiefs’ defense is going to put a lot of pressure on the ground to prevent giving up yardage. He’s a solid passer, but I’d say there’s a coverage awareness issue based on the number of interceptions he’s thrown this season, and those turnovers just can’t fly in a game like this. I think the 49ers are a stronger team, but certain adjustments need to be made if they’re going to win.” — Sarah Foy, Stern first year

A version of this article appears in the Monday, Jan. 27, 2020, print edition. Email Arvind Sriram at [email protected].