Women’s Volleyball Wins Four Straight on the Way to UAA Tournament

Wrestling and fencing opened their seasons, while the soccer teams saw mixed results and the cross country teams competed at the UAA Championships.
Stern freshman Haley Holz spikes the ball over the net during a match against SUNY Cortland. (Via NYU Athletics)

Wrestling
The wrestling team placed fourth of 14 teams at the Ithaca College Invitational on Friday and Saturday. The Violets ended with 115 points, and the tournament was won by Johnson and Wales University. NYU saw many top five finishers on the day. Stern senior Sean Lyons finished and CAS sophomore Liam Drury finished second and fifth in the 157-pound bracket. Liberal Studies first-year Tyler Crew lost in the third round, but then won six straight to finish third in the 125-pound bracket. LS first-year Trent Furman finished fourth in the 133-pound consolation bracket, while getting the most pins in the shortest time in the tournament with four in 4:05. CAS sophomore Cole Karam finished in fourth in the 165-pound bracket. 

The Violets return to the mat next Saturday for the Ned McGinley Invitational at King’s College. 

Women’s Soccer
The Violets split their two games this week, shutting out the University of Rochester on Friday and being shut out by Emory University on Sunday. In the first game, Gallatin first-year Hadley Bushala scored the only goal of the day in the 56th minute on an assist from Stern senior Isabelle Turner and CAS junior Julia Raith. Stern junior Meghan Marhan recorded six saves in the shutout. On Sunday, NYU fell 3-0 to Emory. The game was tied until the 61st minute, but from there Emory scored three goals, and the Violets couldn’t catch up. NYU is now 11-6 on the year. 

The team will next take the pitch against Brandeis University next Saturday. 

Men’s Soccer
The men’s side also split their two games this week, with a 5-1 loss to the University of Rochester on Friday and a 0-0 draw with Emory on Sunday. In the first game, the Violets’ lone goal came in just the fifth minute, tying it at one all for the next hour, but Rochester kept attacking and scored four more goals in the second half to put the game out of reach. After their double-overtime tie on Sunday, NYU is now 7-6-2 on the year. 

The Violets’ next game will be next Saturday when they take on Brandeis University on the road. 

Women’s Volleyball
Women’s volleyball lost only one set this weekend, defeating all of four of their opponents and sweeping three of them in the New York Region Challenge at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

On Friday, the Violets took on Fredonia State University and RIT. In the early matchup, NYU only ever trailed in the beginning of the first set, ultimately sweeping the Blue Devils. Leaders of that match included Stern first-year Haley Holz with nine kills, Stern first-year Nicole Dao with 22 assists and CAS senior Caroline Rapp and CAS junior Jacqueline Kupeli who each had 10 digs. The latter game was a 3-1 win, as NYU beat RIT 25-21, 23-25, 25-20 and 32-30.

On Saturday, the Violets continued their winning ways, sweeping SUNY Cortland 25-22, 25-17, 25-19 and Nazareth College 25-17, 25-21, 25-19. NYU is now 24-6 on the year heading into the UAA Championship at the University of Chicago next Friday. 

The Violets’ first matchup in that tournament will be Carnegie Mellon University. 

Women’s Fencing
NYU opened their season on Saturday at the Temple University Open and saw some success. Stern first-year Chiara Codazzi fenced in foil and worked her way up to second place in the elimination rounds from the 43rd seed. She even beat No. 1 seeded Natalie Minarik of Columbia University in the semifinals. Also in foil, CAS sophomore Sarah Prilutsky finished in 15th place, losing in the round of 16. In epee, Stern first-year Ria Jobalia finished eighth, and Stern/CAS sophomore Tina Nasser finished second in the consolation bracket. 

The Violet’s next tournament will be against Columbia in the Top of the Park Clash on Thursday, Nov. 14. 

Men’s Cross Country
Both cross country teams ran in the UAA Championship, hosted by Carnegie Mellon, on Saturday. The men’s race was an 8K and NYU placed seventh of the eight teams with 189 points. This was only five points behind the University of Rochester. Top-40 finishers included CAS junior Jonathan Sussman in 27th with a time of 25:49.4, CAS senior Ben Karam in 34th with a time of 26:02.20 and CAS senior Jack Lillian in 38th with a time of 26:05.80.

The Violets’ next meet is the ECAC Championship next Saturday.

Women’s Cross Country

The women’s race in the UAA Championship was a 6K event and the Violets saw similar results, finishing in eighth place. Steinhardt first-year Siena Moran finished sixth with a time of 22:20.9. This was the fastest time of any first-year in the meet, and it earned her First Team All-UAA honors, UAA Cross Country Rookie of the Year and a spot on the UAA All-Freshman Team. Other top-40 finishers were CAS first-year Leah Haley in 35th place with a time of 23:15.7 and CAS first-year Milly Ames in 38th place with a time of 23:20.9.

NYU’s next tournament is the ECAC Championship next Saturday.

Email Benjamin Michael Davis at [email protected].