Men’s Golf Puts up Back-to-Back First-Place Finishes, Historic Performance on Sunday

Women’s golf finished their season on a high note, women’s soccer split their matches, men’s soccer and women’s volleyball continued to win and men’s cross country ran in the Metropolitan Championships.
Joseph Burlison (second from left) broke one of three records today for NYU. (via NYU Athletics)

Men’s Golf

The Violets finished their fall season strong, with two straight first place finishes this week, the latter breaking school records. Last Sunday, NYU closed out play at the Liberty League Fall Preview and shot 295. This was enough to leapfrog Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, which had a three-stroke lead on the Violets after Saturday. Adding to the drama of the comeback win, two Violets tied for first and went to a playoff. Tisch junior Robbie Keyes and CAS first-year Alan Chen finished with 147, but after a tie in the first playoff hole, Keyes parred the second, taking home first. 

The Skidmore College Invitational this weekend was even more dramatic for the Violets. After finishing in fourth place on Saturday, NYU put together a historic Sunday, shooting a 282, six strokes lower than the previous school record for best team round. With this record-setting round, the Violets shot 577 on the weekend — another NYU record. The weekend was also a record-setting one on the individual side. Stern sophomore Joseph Burlison tied the school record for an 18-hole performance on Saturday, shooting 67. He then shot a 68 on Sunday, smashing the 36-hole record by five strokes. 

Men’s golf’s fall season has come to an end. They will next tee up on March 14 at the UAA Championship. 

Women’s Golf

The women’s golf team finished their fall season with back-to-back second place finishes. On Tuesday, the Violets shot 317 in the Tartan Invitational, falling four strokes short of host Carnegie Mellon University. The tournament was originally scheduled for Monday and Tuesday, but the first round was canceled. Stern junior Ashley Lung, placed first with a one-over-par 73, and CAS senior Arisa Kimura’s 77 was good for seventh place. 

This weekend, NYU hosted the New York University Invitational and again placed second. The Violet’s 637 on the weekend wasn’t enough to catch WIlliams College, who shot 625. Lung finished tied for third place of 54 golfers shooting a 158. Other top-20 finishers were Stern junior Navika Kuchakulla and Kimura, who tied for 12th with a 165, and Liberal Studies sophomore Isabel Herrera, who tied for 16th, shooting 169.

The Violet’s next tournament will be the UAA Championships on March 14. 

Women’s Soccer

NYU split their two games this week, putting up a commanding performance against William Paterson on Tuesday and a close loss to Carnegie Mellon on Saturday. The first game of the week was another shutout by Stern junior Meghan Marhan. NYU got out to a quick lead with two goals from Stern senior Isabelle Turner. The first was in the third minute and the second was in the 49th on an assist by CAS junior Sam March. Shortly after, in the 53rd minute, Liberal Studies first-year Gabriella Funk scored from 23 yards out on an assist from Turner, and the score held from there. 

Saturday’s Game was closer. Carnegie Mellon opened the scoring in the 36th minute on a goal from first-year Stephanie Ramsay. Funk was able to tie it up just after halftime in the 52nd minute, but then in the 58th, Carnegie first-year Alex Adams put the game away. The 18th-ranked Violets are now 9-3 on the year and 1-1 in UAA play. 

NYU returns to the pitch on Friday, when they take on Washington University in St. Louis at home. 

Men’s Soccer

The Violets winning streak continued on Saturday, when they took down Carnegie Mellon 1-0. It was the team’s first win against the Tartans since 2007. The lone goal of the game was scored by Liberal Studies junior Maxi Rodriguez in the 72nd minute on an assist from SPS senior Sergio Monton. After the close win, the men are now 5-0-1 in their last 6. 

The Violets look to continue their streak on Friday, when they play WashU at home. 

Women’s Volleyball

NYU went 3-0 this week as they faced Montclair State University on Thursday and a doubleheader of Farmingdale State University and Misericordia University on Saturday. On Thursday, the Violets completed a sweep as they beat Montclair State 25-20, 25-23 and 25-16.

Saturday’s doubleheader was a rout for NYU. The violets lost their first set to Farmingdale State, then turned things around and never looked back, winning every other set on the day en route to a 3-1 victory over Farmingdale State and a sweep of Misericordia. Gallatin sophomore Maddie DeJong led match one with 16 kills, while Stern first-year Haley Holz’s 11 was best in match two. CAS junior Jacqueline Kupeli led both games in digs with 17 in game one and 18 in match two. 

The Violets will return to the court on Tuesday for senior day against Baruch College. 

Men’s Cross Country

Men’s cross country sent four runners to the Metropolitan Championships on Friday. Of the 85 total runners in the competition, NYU’s best, Tisch sophomore Malcolm Silver-Van Meter, finished in 28:22 which was good for 44th place. The Violets’ other participants were CAS first-year Jon Diaz, Steinhardt junior Pat Xu and Tandon first-year Mubeen Zainul.

The team’s next race will be the Rowan Interregional Border Battle on Saturday. 

Email Benjamin Michael Davis at [email protected].

Benjamin Michael Davis, Deputy Sports Editor
WSN’s most bitter midwesterner is a sophomore in CAS studying Politics who has embraced a lifestyle and schedule founded upon his love of chaos. You can often find him out until 6 or 7 a.m. and awake again by 9 or 10. Why does he average less than four hours of sleep each night? How does he spend these hours awake? Typically by wandering the streets, working on essays he should’ve started weeks ago or loudly questioning why people don’t believe in such obvious inevitabilities as climate change or the Twins winning the next three World Series.