Disabled subway riders deserve better

Only about a quarter of New York City subway stations are accessible to disabled residents. Despite this, the MTA spends taxpayer dollars fighting accessibility lawsuits instead of paying for more accessible stations.

Only about 25% of New York City’s subway stations are accessible for disabled people, whether that’s through wheelchairs, ramps or elevator access. Of those accessible stations in NYC, most of them are located in Manhattan, while other boroughs lag further behind. Even with that dismal number reflecting the city’s lackluster commitment to disabled riders, many of the accessible stations themselves are only somewhat accessible, with multiple train platforms not meeting the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The ADA requires wheelchair accessibility on public transportation vehicles, which is extremely limited in New York City subways. New York City has failed to meet this requirement, despite multiple renovations in 2013 to the Smith-9th St. station in Brooklyn, in 2017 in Astoria and in 2014 in the Bronx, where they were sued two years later. 

These pushbacks have led to some victories, as the case pursued in response to the 2014 renovations in the Bronx was won by disability rights groups. However, these minor victories are not enough. With the Metropolitan Transit Authority’s recent requests for billions of dollars in federal funding, it would make sense that a significant portion of that money would go towards making stations accessible. Instead, the MTA is evading its responsibilities and misappropriating funds for unrelated projects.

Despite the $4.5 billion the MTA received, they have failed to deliver on promises of station accessibility renovations. Instead, they have directed these funds toward non-accessibility related projects such as modernization, reconstruction of tracks and updating communications systems. Other projects have long been prioritized over the safety and accessibility of subway stations for disabled people, who are entitled to better conditions under the ADA. 

The MTA’s failure to prioritize disabled riders has disproportionate implications for other groups as well. Substantial research has illustrated the correlation between disability and poverty, with disabled people being twice as likely to be living in poverty as opposed to non-disabled people. Disabled people have higher unemployment rates and make less money than their non-disabled counterparts. This discrepancy persists despite the ADA having been passed almost three decades ago. Data also shows that low-income New Yorkers are more likely to take the subway, because they have limited job flexibility. Impoverished disabled people are increasingly stranded with limited transportation options and a system that is doing everything to skirt its responsibility to provide for them. 

The MTA had a capital plan to create 70 new accessible stations by 2024 and ensure 100% accessibility by 2034 —  already an unrealistic promise. That plan has been put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic, making a bleak situation much worse for disabled subway riders. Disability advocacy groups who challenge MTA practices legally have been met with legal resistance and lack of transparency. 

Recently, the MTA denied a request from multiple disability rights groups asking for data. The group — led by Joe Rappaport of the Brooklyn Center for Independence of the Disabled (BCID) — wanted to know the amount of taxpayer dollars the MTA spent fighting discrimination lawsuits filed by disability advocates. 

Refusing to be transparent about the amount of taxpayer dollars spent challenging these lawsuits clearly shows where the MTA’s priorities lie — and it’s not with disabled riders. Despite the MTA’s practices, the lawsuits raised by these disability advocates ask for a commitment to accessibility on a specific timeline. They do not even request a monetary settlement, despite the outrageousness of the MTA’s practices, and only ask for a dedication to accessibility. The MTA cannot even live up to this request.

The MTA’s secrecy further illustrates its issues with accountability to the government and the public who it is meant to serve. It is time for transparency, accountability and a clear commitment to making subway stations fully accessible and compliant with the ADA. Disabled New Yorkers deserve respect from the MTA and a clear commitment to making subway stations fully accessible.

Email Asha Ramachandran at [email protected].

Asha Ramachandran
Asha Ramachandran, Deputy Managing Editor
Asha Ramachandran is a junior studying journalism and Social and Cultural Analysis. They were born and raised in New England (but please don't ask about sports teams!). When Asha isn't obsessing over their two cats, they're probably either reading about obscure politics, tweeting about obscure politics, or cooking mediocre renditions of TikTok recipes. Email them at [email protected] or find them on Instagram @asha.rm.

• D

DavidMar 31, 2021 at 6:54 am

Very tired of complaints about accessibility without consideration of the costs that accessibility incurs as if the MTA isn’t already strapped for cash. Accessibility isn’t a one time cost. It means bloating maintenance costs for each and every accessible station which wind up costing more than the initial outlay per project. Access-a-ride is available and should be expanded to provide transportation to and from nearest accessible stations from all stations in the system.

• T

TiffanyMar 29, 2021 at 9:40 pm

I agree. MTA is outrageous! Not accomaditing the disabled is inhumane. I met a disabled man at a job I worked at and I remember discussing my vacation with him and wishing he could have the same experience as me! It made me realize how important it is to accomodate the disabled! I think we should all be aware of helping disabled people live the same quality of life that we do! I have a passion for helping people enjoy a great quality of life and the disabled really need all of our help! If we can help them have the same experiences as us that would be a beautiful life for them.