Staff Rants and Raves: NYU Dining

Lots of things related to food at NYU have changed recently. Hear what our staff has to say about it.
Grace Halio

Rants

On Serving Sizes
By Alexandria Johnson, Deputy News Editor

One thing I have noticed with Chartwells, the new dining provider, is that the serving size options have gotten smaller. Whether it’s Palladium’s pizzas or Upstein’s sandwiches, the size has dramatically changed from what it used to be. While I understand trying to be healthier, people pay too much money to receive food that will leave them wanting more after two hours. On top of that, you can’t ask for lettuce at the sandwich shop, because they only carry arugula or salted spinach. I am not so sophisticated as to know the flavor palettes that will match with arugula on my sandwich. Can’t I just be basic and receive lettuce like everyone else? Last but not least, there is no longer a biscuit option when you order an omelet, yet the flavorless potatoes you do get don’t even compare to the seasoned ones from before. That’s probably why they have salt and pepper shakers on each table — because they know they can’t season right.

On Nutritional Information
By Bela Kirpalani, Sports Editor

While it is promising that the dining halls include nutritional facts for each dish, I do wonder why only certain facts are provided. Some people are more concerned about or mindful of their sugar or sodium intake, for instance, but I’ve noticed that most dishes only have calorie and fat information listed. Food for thought. 

Raves

On Fewer Decisions
By Sam Klein, Managing Editor

I don’t go to Upstein a lot because of my immense love for its downstairs neighbor. But when I do stop by, I get a sandwich. Always. I’ve never been to the Chick-Fil-A there (I swear I’m telling the truth). And every time I join the sandwich line — does the place have a name? — I have had to design my own sandwich, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. Until recently, that is.

The new sandwich place has a menu. This is a radical, drastic change for the better. An upheaval in Upstein sandwiches as we know them. I hate designing my own sandwich, burrito, pizza and the like simply because I don’t work at the place selling the item. The people who work there know what the best combinations are; in short, I don’t trust myself to create as good of a sandwich as a sandwich-informed person designing a menu. My favorite fast-casual stop back home, Los Amigos Taqueria, offers 11 different pre-designed burritos, making it better than establishments like Dos Toros. And now, with its own menu of a dozen sandwiches, Upstein is moving, well, up. (Although Downstein remains No. 1 in my heart.)

On the Kosher Eatery
By Abby Hofstetter, Opinion Editor

You’d be hard-pressed to find many other universities with as extensive of a kosher cafeteria as NYU’s. Not only does NYU have pre-packaged kosher food in multiple dining halls, but they have an entire dining hall just for kosher food, which is rare — in fact, only 32 universities in the U.S. have kosher options on their meal plans, and one is Yeshiva University. The Kosher Eatery is actually one of the reasons I chose to go here, which sounds silly in retrospect. But when religious obligations leave you with limited options for food, you have to prioritize.

Email WSN Staff at [email protected].