Student targeted in attempted robbery near Washington Square Park

The student was unharmed after the suspect tried and failed to take their backpack Wednesday evening.
Kiran Komanduri
(Kiran Komanduri for WSN)

An NYU student was caught in an attempted robbery near Washington Square Park at around 7:40 p.m. Wednesday, according to an email sent by the Department of Campus Safety earlier this evening. The student did not sustain any injuries.

As the student was leaving the northeast entrance of the park, the suspect called them “an obscene name,” telling the student to fight them and then trying to take their backpack. After “pulling back and forth” on the backpack with the suspect, the student successfully regained their bag and headed to Weinstein Hall. The Department of Campus Safety received a report shortly after the robbery occurred. 

The individual, who appeared to be in their mid-20s to early 30s, was described as male-presenting with a light complexion, approximately 5 feet 6 inches tall and as having shoulder-length blonde hair. They were also reportedly wearing a baseball cap, T-shirt and shorts.

A New York City Police Department spokesperson told WSN no additional information is available at this time.

Contact Adrianna Nehme at [email protected].

Adrianna Nehme
Adrianna Nehme, News Editor
Adrianna Nehme is a sophomore still trying to decide what to major in. Originally from a small town in Indiana, she moved to Chicago, Illinois for high school — where she was also the news editor for the school paper! She loves experiencing music live at concerts, seeking restaurants to try in the city and reading fiction novels — her all-time favorite is "The Cider House Rules" by John Irving. Check out her latest adventures on Instagram @adrianna.nehme.

• B

Bob KatzApr 25, 2024 at 9:26 am

Student safety. Washington square park has become a haven for unsavory individuals. If one decides to go thru the park try not to do it alone. Thankfully this student was not harmed